anyweb

How can I capture Windows 7

Question

As this is requested a lot, here's how to make it easier for you to Capture Windows 7. Note that this method is not recommended as you should use the Build and Capture method to capture Windows 7 and the computer should not join the domain, that said, if you still want to capture a domain joined computer and you are willing to deploy that captured image (with registry settings from Domain Joining, gpo's etc...) then read on...

Import the following Task Sequence into ConfigMgr by right clicking on the Task Sequences node of Operating System Deployment in ConfigMgr, and choose Import.

capture Windows 7 X86.xml

Once Imported you will have to supply it with two packages namely your X86 boot image and a new package called AutoLogin_windows7

The Autologin_windows7 packgage contains a registry file and a program

the Program is as follows:

reg import "autologin_windows7.reg"

autologin_enable.jpg

the properties are as follows:

autologin_properties.jpg

and the autologin_windows7.reg registry file contains the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultUserName"="Administrator"
"DefaultPassword"="password"

replace password above with the local admin password...

once done, make sure to edit your task sequence so that it's using your X86 boot image by right clicking on the Task Sequence, select properties and select the correct boot image,

boot image.jpg

then make sure that the Task Sequence is using your new autologin package by right clicking on the Task Sequence and choose Edit,

autologin via registry.jpg

finally advertise it to a capture windows 7 collection and add a computer to that collection using direct membership

capture collection.jpg

After you've added the computer to the collection, start it up, login to Windows, open control panel, open the RAP (run advertised programs) and kick off the Capture windows 7 task sequence.

Side note: you'll need to create a step in your deploy task sequence to remove the registry autologin values otherwise the deployed image will attempt auto login on first boot..

Further Reading:

1. Auto Login as part of OSD Task Sequence

2. Login Single Domain User for Caching After Imaging via Task Sequence

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 x64 machine that is updated/customized, but NOT domain joined; your method here is fine for a domain joined machine, but as you pointed out, it isn't a good idea to sysprep and re-deploy a previously domain-joined machine because of the various changes that occur. How can I modify your method here to sysprep/capture my W7 image?

It simply isn't feasible to do a build and capture ts, while that is fine if I want a vanilla OS with no apps or updates, the fact is, our organization has WAY too many apps and customizations to include as either custom ts software installs or to be somehow delivered via GP/AD. It is much faster to build a gold image (thick image) with everything on it, then prep it and capture an image for later deployment. I am NOT going to make custom ts software installs for things like Adobe CS4 and a dozen other HUGE apps, the imaging time would take hours for the base image and all of the software updates to come down.

Niall,

I've tried running this on the machine that I couldn't get to build and capture

It runs the first part fine, but then it restarts into windows PE and tries running the registry hack again which isn't supported in windows PE... I kicked this off from RAP ? Not sure what I'm doing wrong do I need to cancel the boot into windows PE ?

Kicked it off again without booting into Windows PE and it appears to be working, just hope that I can deploy this now with drivers that didn't work in the build and capture process...

Do you know what Registry hack I need to put in my deploy to stop it auto logging in ?

Hi - I've manged to do this - then when I refer to the captured WIM in my full deployment TS it is trying to install the OS to D:\ rather than C:\ - I've been reading this is due to not doing a deploy and capture??

I actually need to do a manual install of windows (currently straight from the DVD churned out by the M$ ISO) and then install a few corporate apps - one in particular cannot be packaged (hence the requirement for manual config). Capture was a bit of a prob at first but eventually captured it.

But now like I say it tries installing it to D:\ - help!!!

I realize that this is an old thread but since it's the only one in the Capturing category of the thread that's pinned to the top of the board I figured I'd just say that I figured out a way around the auto-login registry hack. I just kicked off the task, waited for it to reboot and logged in manually. The sequence picked right up and finished the job.

Per the above: Side note: you'll need to create a step in your deploy task sequence to remove the registry autologin values otherwise the deployed image will attempt auto login on first boot.

Ok...how do we do this?

Hello Niall,

I've try to create and run the Capture task sequence exactly as you describe but i got and error right when the task sequence start to run. Error is 0x00000032 . Here's the description in advertisement status " The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Autologin via registry) in the group (Capture the Reference Machine) with the error code 50

Action output: . The operating system reported error 50: The request is not supported. "
Any idea?
Thanks,
Johnathan