anyweb

How can I capture Windows 7

Question

As this is requested a lot, here's how to make it easier for you to Capture Windows 7. Note that this method is not recommended as you should use the Build and Capture method to capture Windows 7 and the computer should not join the domain, that said, if you still want to capture a domain joined computer and you are willing to deploy that captured image (with registry settings from Domain Joining, gpo's etc...) then read on...

Import the following Task Sequence into ConfigMgr by right clicking on the Task Sequences node of Operating System Deployment in ConfigMgr, and choose Import.

capture Windows 7 X86.xml

Once Imported you will have to supply it with two packages namely your X86 boot image and a new package called AutoLogin_windows7

The Autologin_windows7 packgage contains a registry file and a program

the Program is as follows:

reg import "autologin_windows7.reg"

autologin_enable.jpg

the properties are as follows:

autologin_properties.jpg

and the autologin_windows7.reg registry file contains the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultUserName"="Administrator"
"DefaultPassword"="password"

replace password above with the local admin password...

once done, make sure to edit your task sequence so that it's using your X86 boot image by right clicking on the Task Sequence, select properties and select the correct boot image,

boot image.jpg

then make sure that the Task Sequence is using your new autologin package by right clicking on the Task Sequence and choose Edit,

autologin via registry.jpg

finally advertise it to a capture windows 7 collection and add a computer to that collection using direct membership

capture collection.jpg

After you've added the computer to the collection, start it up, login to Windows, open control panel, open the RAP (run advertised programs) and kick off the Capture windows 7 task sequence.

Side note: you'll need to create a step in your deploy task sequence to remove the registry autologin values otherwise the deployed image will attempt auto login on first boot..

Further Reading:

1. Auto Login as part of OSD Task Sequence

2. Login Single Domain User for Caching After Imaging via Task Sequence

Hi,

First thanks for the great tut, i only have one issue, i have captured .wim (win7 ent & Adobe cs5 MS 11 GB) so far so good, then if i deploy this to an other workstation the image is deployd ok.

But after that i cant login with the administrator account anymore and the task for adding this client in domain is also not working, further the last sequence install office 2007 is skipt also......there are no error reports...

I have attached the screenshots with the tasksequence to capture a workstaion, mabye i forgot one.?

The one with install software is the one from this tut

Capture.JPG

Any suggestions?

Rgds, blink.gif

for client is not adding to the domain ,have you set the option to join the computer to domain also check the account which you have used to join ?

did you find any information from smsts.log ?

cont login with administrator account--->have u check the option "randomly generate password local admin password" under Apply windows settings Task Action ?

I'm new to SCCM 2007 SP2.

I'm trying to capture my Windows 7 Reference computer to a wim file.

Every steps of this guide works works except the last one where I always receive the error code 0x80070005.

Is there any logs I can look at to try to show me the way ?

I also try other guide from this site and the capture process always end with a code 0x80070xxxx.

If you have any hint for me, let me know, I will appreciate.

check in c:\windows\temp

Ok, I finaly make it working...

Anstead of pointing my destination wim file to \\sms\source... I create an other share folder on an other server and point the wim file there. Working...

So It must be a security issues... This SMS server was running 2003 with SMS... I upgrade the server to Windows 2008 + SCCM SP2... (Take me 1 week to solve all the issues...)

I will wait until my image done and will try to get this c:\windows\temp\sms*.log file...

Thanks for your help !

Hi,

since I am totally new regarding SCCM all your tutorials are extreamly helpful, but.. :)

I did everything you post in this thread and now I am stuck on first step. When I choose run from the RAP I receive error "The requested software cannot be located..."

post-6821-12822072090158_thumb.png

I have tryed everything that I know, but still unable to pass this step.

Also I cannot locate smsts.log file.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi,

since I am totally new regarding SCCM all your tutorials are extreamly helpful, but.. smile.gif

I did everything you post in this thread and now I am stuck on first step. When I choose run from the RAP I receive error "The requested software cannot be located..."

error SCCM.png

I have tryed everything that I know, but still unable to pass this step.

Also I cannot locate smsts.log file.

Please help.

Thanks.

Can you check the CAS.log file also make sure if you have updated the packages to DP(Boot image packages if it is OS deployment).

I have seen similar type of issue long back, check out this link here

Still no luck.

I added new boot image and link it to TS, but no luck.

Checked the CAS log and found this:

<![LOG[No matching DP Location found]LOG]!><time="18:51:44.013+-120" date="08-19-2010" component="ContentAccess" context="" type="1" thread="5672" file="locationcontentrequest.cpp:611">

<![LOG[Location update from LS for content P0100023.2 and location request {1253F357-EB13-44FA-BE05-33B0BA75578B}]LOG]!><time="18:51:44.053+-120" date="08-19-2010" component="ContentAccess" context="" type="1" thread="5672" file="locationcontentrequest.cpp:593">

<![LOG[Download location found 0 - \\SCCM.SRV\SMSPKGD$\P0100023\]LOG]!><time="18:51:44.053+-120" date="08-19-2010" component="ContentAccess" context="" type="1" thread="5672" file="locationcontentrequest.cpp:601">

<![LOG[Matching DP Location found 0 - \\SCCM.SRV\SMSPKGD$\P0100023\]LOG]!><time="18:51:44.053+-120" date="08-19-2010" component="ContentAccess" context="" type="1" thread="5672" file="locationcontentrequest.cpp:631">

I have checked WebDav and the only thing that was different according the manual posted on this site was Allow hidden files to be listed. I corrected it and restart IIS and now it is working. :)

Thanks for your help.