anyweb

How can I capture Windows 7

Question

As this is requested a lot, here's how to make it easier for you to Capture Windows 7. Note that this method is not recommended as you should use the Build and Capture method to capture Windows 7 and the computer should not join the domain, that said, if you still want to capture a domain joined computer and you are willing to deploy that captured image (with registry settings from Domain Joining, gpo's etc...) then read on...

Import the following Task Sequence into ConfigMgr by right clicking on the Task Sequences node of Operating System Deployment in ConfigMgr, and choose Import.

capture Windows 7 X86.xml

Once Imported you will have to supply it with two packages namely your X86 boot image and a new package called AutoLogin_windows7

The Autologin_windows7 packgage contains a registry file and a program

the Program is as follows:

reg import "autologin_windows7.reg"

autologin_enable.jpg

the properties are as follows:

autologin_properties.jpg

and the autologin_windows7.reg registry file contains the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultUserName"="Administrator"
"DefaultPassword"="password"

replace password above with the local admin password...

once done, make sure to edit your task sequence so that it's using your X86 boot image by right clicking on the Task Sequence, select properties and select the correct boot image,

boot image.jpg

then make sure that the Task Sequence is using your new autologin package by right clicking on the Task Sequence and choose Edit,

autologin via registry.jpg

finally advertise it to a capture windows 7 collection and add a computer to that collection using direct membership

capture collection.jpg

After you've added the computer to the collection, start it up, login to Windows, open control panel, open the RAP (run advertised programs) and kick off the Capture windows 7 task sequence.

Side note: you'll need to create a step in your deploy task sequence to remove the registry autologin values otherwise the deployed image will attempt auto login on first boot..

Further Reading:

1. Auto Login as part of OSD Task Sequence

2. Login Single Domain User for Caching After Imaging via Task Sequence

Hi guys,

I've used this custom Task Sequence but when I try to run it via Control Panel/RAP, I'm just told that the 'program is currently not available'.

Any ideas? I'm massively stuck with deadlines looming and have no idea why this TS won't run. :(

Cheers,

MRaybone.

Hi guys,

I've used this custom Task Sequence but when I try to run it via Control Panel/RAP, I'm just told that the 'program is currently not available'.

Any ideas? I'm massively stuck with deadlines looming and have no idea why this TS won't run. sad.gif

Cheers,

MRaybone.

Check this link http://eskonr.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/sequence-from-run-advertised-program-window/

Check CAS.Log file in client side

Thanks for the reply. My error looks to be slightly different from the one in that post, and I'm not seeing anything recent in the CAS.log file.

post-4458-12837608365707_thumb.jpg

There is this in the EXECMGR.LOG though:

Verifying content availability for package CEN00124 optional program *
The created request is a Task Sequence request
Could not find the policy in WMI for package CEN00125 program autologin_enable
DeletedPolicy object is not found.(0x80002004)
Fail to initialize TS member info, error 0x80002004

Thanks for the reply. My error looks to be slightly different from the one in that post, and I'm not seeing anything recent in the CAS.log file.

Capture.JPG

There is this in the EXECMGR.LOG though:

Verifying content availability for package CEN00124 optional program *
The created request is a Task Sequence request
Could not find the policy in WMI for package CEN00125 program autologin_enable
DeletedPolicy object is not found.(0x80002004)
Fail to initialize TS member info, error 0x80002004

Recheck once again for the package ID CEN00125,is avilable in DP or not ?

Ok the good news is that the DP refresh has worked and the TS ran.

The bad news is that I'm now getting the 0x0004005 error that others have reported during the "Running Sysprep command" stage. This issue didn't seem to have a solution... any ideas?

Anyway to achieve this with PXE only?

The reason is that i have prepare a computer but i dont see the point to join it to the domain and capture it!

Anyone? :P

Hmmm.....Maybe i should manage the computer from workgroup using SLP...looks like they are communicating. Will try the capture when i got some time

the task sequence was for X86 so you'll have to check that in the XML file as your's is for X64... edit your xml file in notepad or whatever and verify/replace the x86 bits with amd64 bits instead, once you have it working please post your sample X6 capture windows 7 Task Sequence here and i'll add it to the first post.