anyweb

How can I capture Windows 7

the task sequence was for X86 so you'll have to check that in the XML file as your's is for X64... edit your xml file in notepad or whatever and verify/replace the x86 bits with amd64 bits instead, once you have it working please post your sample X6 capture windows 7 Task Sequence here and i'll add it to the first post.

Anyone? :P

Hmmm.....Maybe i should manage the computer from workgroup using SLP...looks like they are communicating. Will try the capture when i got some time

should work, have you tried it ? just disable the un-needed steps

should work, have you tried it ? just disable the un-needed steps

I have reinstall the client using SMSSLP appended and i got the computer to report on SCCM. I thing we are doing ok :) Will have to try it in the afteroon maybe

the task sequence was for X86 so you'll have to check that in the XML file as your's is for X64... edit your xml file in notepad or whatever and verify/replace the x86 bits with amd64 bits instead, once you have it working please post your sample X6 capture windows 7 Task Sequence here and i'll add it to the first post.

Hmmm... When I imported the xml file, I made sure I switched to an x64 Boot Image. All other references to x86 appear to be purely descriptive and non-functional, but I made sure I changed them anyway. My question was how to fix the 0x00004005 error which I'm still getting...

odd, ok tell me at what point it fails because your log didn't reveal anything interesting, however i'll take another look to be sure

are you sure you have the configmgr SP2 client installed on the client ?

Yes it's the SP2 client. The TS is successfully advertised to the client, it runs, reboots, appears to login automatically, runs through the 'preparing configmgr client' stage, then fails on the 'running sysprep command' as the screenshot shows with just the 00004005 error, but nothing useful logged...

For the life of me i cannot get this capture to work and I think i may have a concussion from pounding my head against my desk. OK so I've loaded Windows 7 ent x86 on a VM, logged in as the local administrator, I change all the settings to my liking and I'm ready to capture. Right?

I've imported the TS, supplied it with a x86 boot image and created a autologin package that contains the reg import "autologin_win7.reg" program.

autologin_win7.reg =

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

"DefaultUserName"="Administrator"

"DefaultPassword"="my admin password"

From my local administrator account which I've configured all my settings I open RAP and run the capture TS. The TS seems to run fine it does the capture but after it finishes Windows 7 starts up at the "Set Up Windows" screen. All of my settings are wiped out and the local admin account is disabled. What am I doing wrong? Someone please help!

Thanks Anyweb, here you go:

post-4458-12837781381242_thumb.jpg

smsts.log

If you didnt already get this fixed try checking "do not reset activation flag" in the task sequence under prepare OS.

Got this error and it turns out ive been capturing the same image to many times :)

If you didnt already get this fixed try checking "do not reset activation flag" in the task sequence under prepare OS.

Got this error and it turns out ive been capturing the same image to many times :)

Tried this and it doesent work.

You need to add the <SkipRearm>1</SkipRearm> as described here but i dont really know how to add it to the task sequence...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929828

Hi,

Followed the steps to capture a windows 7 test laptop but from the RAP on the client I don't see the advertised task. Message on the RAP - "No programs are availabe on the network".

Checked the advertised task and this is setup ok. added the laptop into the collection OU.

appreciate any advice/assisitance ?

have you made sure the firewall isnt blocking anything ? that the client isn't obsolete ?

Hi,

firewall is off. sccm client successfully deployed to the target laptop (windows 7 64 bit). odd thing is that i can advertise the auto login program to the client but not the capture task.

Hi,

firewall is off. sccm client successfully deployed to the target laptop (windows 7 64 bit). odd thing is that i can advertise the auto login program to the client but not the capture task.

how do you setup the advertisement ? mandtory or optional > only optional advertisments you can see in RAP window.

After advertising ,try running machine policy or you can use SCCM client center to import policy for particular advertisement and see how this works from Logs ?

how do you setup the advertisement ? mandtory or optional > only optional advertisments you can see in RAP window.

Not totally true, you can also see a mandatory advertisement in RAP, as long as you select Allow users to run the program indepently of assignments in the Interaction tab.

Another thing that could be interesting is what can we delete just before the capture sequence other than the applications that writes logs on the root drive. Maybe updates in the SoftwareDistribution folder?

For a Compaq 8000 Elite my wim file is 1,7GB and for a Lenovo T510 it's 3,3gb.

Hello,

do you know if it possible to name Computer during OSD ?

I mean, after the OSD i have computer name "MYPC" for example and not the random naming that SCCM do.

Regards,

Hello,

I mean, after the OSD i have computer name "MYPC" for example and not the random naming that SCCM do.

Regards,

Yes it's possible.

Look for this -> PromptForSystemName.vbs (Author; Nick Moseley)

hi

I've tried to use this ts but when i try to run it via RAP, i'm getting an error 'program is currently not available'. CAS.log seem to be ok

And when i try to boot from pxe with this ts, i'm getting this(from smsts.log):

Getting policy for CCM_SoftwareDistribution[AdvertID=SPB2006E", PackageID="SPB00053", ProgramID="autologin enable] TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

FALSE, HRESULT=80040104 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,2301) TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

Failed to find CCM_SoftwareDistribution object for AdvertID="SPB2006E", PackageID="SPB00053", ProgramID="autologin enable" TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

(*iTSReference)->Resolve( pTSPolicyManager, dwResolveFlags ), HRESULT=80040104 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,2862) TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

m_pSelectedTaskSequence->Resolve( m_pPolicyManager, TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolvePolicy | TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolveSource, fpCallbackProc, pv, hCancelEvent), HRESULT=80040104 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp,1208) TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

Failed to resolve selected task sequence dependencies. Code(0x80040104) TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

hrReturn, HRESULT=80040104 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediaresolveprogresspage.cpp,408) TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

ThreadToResolveAndExecuteTaskSequence failed. Code(0x80040104) TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1324 (0x052C)

ThreadToResolveAndExecuteTaskSequence returned code 0x80040104 TSPxe 20.01.11 17:58:56 1176 (0x0498)

can anyone help me with this?

Hello,

Regards,

found it,

thanks! ;)

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 x64 machine that is updated/customized, but NOT domain joined; your method here is fine for a domain joined machine, but as you pointed out, it isn't a good idea to sysprep and re-deploy a previously domain-joined machine because of the various changes that occur. How can I modify your method here to sysprep/capture my W7 image?

It simply isn't feasible to do a build and capture ts, while that is fine if I want a vanilla OS with no apps or updates, the fact is, our organization has WAY too many apps and customizations to include as either custom ts software installs or to be somehow delivered via GP/AD. It is much faster to build a gold image (thick image) with everything on it, then prep it and capture an image for later deployment. I am NOT going to make custom ts software installs for things like Adobe CS4 and a dozen other HUGE apps, the imaging time would take hours for the base image and all of the software updates to come down.

Niall,

I've tried running this on the machine that I couldn't get to build and capture

It runs the first part fine, but then it restarts into windows PE and tries running the registry hack again which isn't supported in windows PE... I kicked this off from RAP ? Not sure what I'm doing wrong do I need to cancel the boot into windows PE ?

Kicked it off again without booting into Windows PE and it appears to be working, just hope that I can deploy this now with drivers that didn't work in the build and capture process...

Do you know what Registry hack I need to put in my deploy to stop it auto logging in ?

simply remove the values we added in the registry hack and all is good.