jfdensmore

How easy is it to Switch to a new Primary Site?

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read and maybe help!

My current setup consists of: Server 2012 R2, Sql 2012, and SCCM Current Branch (1606) about .  I am replacing this all with:  Server 2016, SQL 2016, and SCCM 1702.   Yes i said "Replacing" not upgrading or migrating.  I am trying to preform a complete Cut over to a new primary site. I want a clean slate.  I have found all kinds of guides to migrate and upgrade, but nothing on steps to take to preform a complete cut over?  

My question is, once i have everything built (Installing Sccm 1702 as i type this) what steps should i take to eliminate my previous site and distribution point, and re-associate all my clients with my new site?  As well as anything else i may be initially forgetting?

Thanks again everyone!

I was away for a week, im getting back to this. I was gonna try to export from my 1606 and import some things to 1702. I'm wondering, when i export an application and import it into my new CMCB 1702 does it bring everything over, and all you need to do is distribute it?  Or do i need to recreate the Application from scratch?  The same question applies for Packages as well?

Thanks in advance!

We are moving from SCCM 2012 R2 + SQL 200R2 both on Windows Server 2008 R2, the new boxes are all Windows Server 2016, using SQL 2016. We are setting up a completly new primary site (albeit in a different 'resource' domain) we could have just joined the new and the old together and migrated everything however the old setup had so many inconsitancies and issues. We also decided to take a look at all the apps and make sure they were setup correctly- drop any old apps, introduce new/updated apps etc.

in some cases i have exported apps, however you have to go change the content location, especailly if its in a different place, however thats simple. I've also taken the oppurtunity to redo all our device collections, mainly to help with the user admin/role based admin, as previously all the SCCM users were full admins so we are 'locking it down' this time around.

Once we are done we will just drop the boundaries from the old site, add them to the new site and push the new client.

• Like 1