xerxes2985

Install different versions with same application?

Question

I've created an application to install Mozilla Firefox. What I am trying to do is be able to Install either the Rapid Release version or the Extended Support Release version based upon which version a computer already has installed. I created the application and two deployment types that use registry based detection for the default key with a version #. (54.0 for RR and 52.2.0 for ESR). How can I prevent one then the other from installing, or specify that only the matching one that the client has will get installed? (I attempted to do this, and it installed the ESR, then the RR version). 

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

If both versions installed then something is up with your detection settings. Either way I had a similar situation come up last year when upgrading the Imprivata client. I created a 'Global Condition' based on a powershell script as my deployment requirement. Basically the 'Global Condition' would return 1 of 2 results which each deployment type depended on. As an example, using the script below as your GC, the ESR deployment type could only run if the GC returned a value of 'Resistance' and the RR deployment type would run if the GC returned 'Empire'. I tested A LOT but in the end I was able to upgrade > 2k computers with no issues. 

$FFVER = (Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\').CurrentVersion
                if($FFVER -eq '54.0 (x86 en-US)')
                    {write-host 'Resistance'}
                else
                    {write-host 'Empire'}

Tomorrow,  I'm going to try this out!! Thanks for the information! I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm right there with you, I test, test, test, and then test, and test. I haven't approached using a custom detection method until now. Thanks again, I'll post my results.