xerxes2985

Updating application based on a logical method

Good Afternoon all,

I know there is some logic when updating the source files for an application that can differentiate installing onto a 32 bit system or a 64 bit system, and also that there are detection methods to determine if something is installed. What I would like to know (or if anyone has done this) is how you can appropriately use logic to determine which software to install. Here's the example scenario if I lost anyone:

Computer A is 64-bit Windows 10 and has 32-bit installed Mozilla Firefox 51
Computer B is 64-bit Windows 10 and has 64-bit installed Mozilla Firefox 51

Since computer A has 32-bit Firefox installed, go ahead and install 32-bit Firefox 54

Since computer B has 64-bit Firefox installed, go ahead and install 64-bit Firefox 54

I haven't tried this myself yet, but I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole and get lost.

I have been able to successfully deploy a 32-bit and 64-bit application that uses the logic "Windows X 32-bit" and "Windows X 64-bit" to differentiate based upon processor architecture, but I don't believe the same concept will work here.

Thanks!

I have to ask why do you care if firefox get upgraded to x64 version?

What happened when you import both MSI? Are they both using the same MSI id? Generally the MSI will take care of thing for you. so....

8 minutes ago, GarthMJ said:

I have to ask why do you care if firefox get upgraded to x64 version?

What happened when you import both MSI? Are they both using the same MSI id? Generally the MSI will take care of thing for you. so....

Firefox I was just using as an example, but to answer your question for most programs, I personally could care less whether its 64 bit or 32 bit. But there are some applications (like notepad++ for example) which the 32-bit program has more support for things like plugins, etc. than the 64-bit version.

But with Firefox with regards to Firefox, when I did attempt to have both versions, it would install the 32 bit, then overwrite it with the 64 bit version, rather than just an in-place upgrade. I assume this occurred due to detection method or lack specifying any requirements.

I am using a registry detection that looks for the following key for the 32-bit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\52.2.0 ESR (x86 en-US)
and the Default string = 52.2.0 ESR (x86 en-US)

and for 64-bit, using the following method

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\52.2.0 ESR (x64 en-US)
and the Default string = 52.2.0 ESR (x64 en-US)