xerxes2985

Only deploy software to clients that have the software installed?

Question

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to deploy an application update ONLY to clients that already have the application installed.

For example

Bob-PC   - Java installed
Tom-PC  - Java installed
Jim-PC    - Not installed 
Fred-PC   - Java installed
Mike-PC   - Not installed

I'd like only the systems that have it to get it, not every system.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

yes you can do that, it is all about how you create your collections.

But why do you want if an app is "deployed" to a computer. if done, right, just because it is deployed to a computer doesn't mean that it will install.

45 minutes ago, GarthMJ said:

yes you can do that, it is all about how you create your collections.

But why do you want if an app is "deployed" to a computer. if done, right, just because it is deployed to a computer doesn't mean that it will install.

The goal is to utilize "Required" to automate the installation of a particular software update. I have many applications set to "Available", but most of those are common apps (flash, firefox, chrome, reader, etc.). I am trying to eliminate "users" from having to click to install software updates. (The one program in particular has no autoupdate feature, and only gets upgraded every 6 mo - 1 yr) 

Edited by xerxes2985
added more information

This is one of the reasons I like CM so much....there are so many ways to accomplish this and it all depends on you and your environment. I would personally create a collection containing all devices with 'X' software version installed. Once a new version comes out, deploy it to this collection and as the devices are upgraded, they will drop out of the original collection. You would just need to pay attention if you have any stringent reporting requirements. Of course you could also play around with supersedence and deployment requirements but that is a little more complicated.

4 minutes ago, TrialandError said:

This is one of the reasons I like CM so much....there are so many ways to accomplish this and it all depends on you and your environment. I would personally create a collection containing all devices with 'X' software version installed. Once a new version comes out, deploy it to this collection and as the devices are upgraded, they will drop out of the original collection. You would just need to pay attention if you have any stringent reporting requirements. Of course you could also play around with supersedence and deployment requirements but that is a little more complicated.

I am going to attempt the collection with "X" software version installed and see how it goes. I did see supersedence option, although it looked a bit more complicated (and too much time I don't have) to work through it. As far as reporting requirements, I don't have any other than verifying software versions match the latest (i.e. Java, Flash, Acrobat, etc.). I have the sole responsibility of manhandling SCCM, so I am the driving force behind "how we do things".

@TrialandError Thank you very much for the suggestion of creating a collection based upon applications! It works like a charm. I looked more into supersedence, and from what I gather it seems like it could work, but it seems like you have to continually maintain multiple versions of the same program to make it work. I could be misinterpreting it though.