When i try an OSD Task Sequence, it fails with at applying operating system, Error: 0x80070002. So i want to view the smsts.log file to see what is goin on, But F8 will not bring up the command prompt.  I had verified that enable command support is checked. Then i updated windows assessment and deployment kit, and i noticed that the Customization tab is gone?  What am i missing?  This is a new install of 1702, and my first attempt at an OSD. 

9 hours ago, TrialandError said:

Sounds like your boot images didn't update when you updated the ADK. Check out this post.

Ok!  That did the trick for getting the tabs back on the standard Boot Images.  However, still no F8 Functionality!    I'm Still failing at "Applying Operating System".    Also, I use the HP "CIK" I have an HP Client boot image that does not have the Customization tab, Anyone have thoughts for that one?

So since i cant view the Smsts.log file, I reviewed the deployment status: Error The Task sequence manager could not successfully complete execution of the task sequence.   

Also I have been digging through some logs on the server, and the only log that is updated as soon as my task sequence fails is "Offersum.log"  here is the message:

Info>: Dequeued a status message from the Offer Status Queue: ID=11135 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Client" COMP="Task Sequence Engine" SYS=MININT-IH2ESC7 SITE=OBE PID=952 TID=916 GMTDATE=Tue Jul 25 11:20:26.813 2017 ISTR0="4" ISTR1="Apply Operating System" ISTR2="Install Operating System" ISTR3="2147942402" ISTR4="... \applyos\installimage.cpp,1811)~resolvePkgSource(), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,1854)~Apply(), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,2063)~S" ISTR5="endResourceRequest() failed. 80190191~Download() failed. 80190191.~Installation of image 1 in package OBE0002B failed to complete.. ~he system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)~installer.install(), HRESULT=80070002 (e:" ISTR6="\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,2138)~ReleaseSource() for C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\OBE0002B.~The user tries to release a source directory C:\_SMSTaskSe    SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER    7/25/2017 7:20:36 AM    14816 (0x39E0)

Somethings that jump out at me: (Pure speculation)

(e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installimage.cpp,2063)     The only thing on e: is my SQL DB?

~Installation of image 1 in package OBE0002B failed to complete.. ~he system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)~installer.install()   The Operating system is distributed?

Anything jump out at anyone?

Have you defined the network access account? I've seen that error at applying the OS phase because my NAC didn't have the correct privileges. 

You have multiple issues going on so can you give some more info about your environment? You said it's a new 1702 install but what OS are you deploying? Is MDT integrated? Are you pxe booting or using media? Will F8 bring up the cmd window in winpe before you start the task sequence? 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TrialandError said:

Have you defined the network access account? I've seen that error at applying the OS phase because my NAC didn't have the correct privileges. 

Well that was it!  Wow i have been battling this for weeks, Not sure how i missed that!   Thank you TrialandError so much for your wisdom!  Once again Windows-Noob.com saves the day!!!!!  Thanks again guys!

I am curious though, what does the NAA have to do with f8 working to get the command prompt working as well?

• Like 1

Glad it's working for you but your NAA having domain administrator privileges is not a good idea. I realize you are only testing but the NAA accounts credentials are stored in wmi (albeit encrypted) and a bad actor could leverage it against you. Been a while since I've looked but I think you only need your NAA to be a member of domain users assuming IIS doesn't have any restrictions. You can even disable local logons. 

IIRC, the NAA is being deprecated in the new cm release anyhow.