Jump to content


t0meck

Console cannot connect to site after in-place upgrade of site server from 2008 r2 to 2012 r2

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I had old installation of sccm 2012 r2 sp1 on 2008 r2 with sql 2008 r2 on same server.
I wanted to start deploy windows 10 (1703) but it turned out that this version is supported only on newest SCCM 1702.

So I have upgraded sccm 2012 to 1606 using baseline media and then to 1610 using sccm console in administration section.
Then I have installed 2 patches which were issued to 1610. I checked if installation of 1702 will pass but it failed.

Then I have done OS upgrade from 2008 r2 to 2012 r2:
- I have backed up sccm using backup task and manually triggered service to start backup now. Afterwards backup task was disabled.
- I disabled all automatically started services of SMS* for the time of upgrade
- I then started in-place upgrade of OS. It turned out fine. Couple problems have emerged but they were quickly solved.
- Then I have reenabled SMS* services back to automatic start
- Rebooted the server and wanted to enter sccm console but then...

Console says it cannot connect to site <site code and address>. Also some information regarding sms provider is shown. Just generic error for console itself.
Nothing can be done from the console now. Just before upgrade of OS it was working ok.

In Event Viewer there are some errors regarding:
1) Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceOperationEvent WHERE TargetInstance ISA "ccm_siteassignment"" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/ccm/Policy/Machine" because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
2) The server {GUID} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
3) The WinRM service is not listening for WS-Management requests User Action If you did not intentionally stop the service, use the following command to see the WinRM configuration winrm enum winrm/config/listener
4) Transport error; failed to connect, message: 'The SMS Provider reported an error. '\r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe SMS Provider reported an error

Our actions so far:
1) Add Local Activation for SYSTEM for SMS Agent Host in DCOM
2) Check that winrm enum winrm/config/listener output and see that all interfaces are mentioned there
3) Disabled firewall
4) Connected to our site db using SQL Management Studio

For upgrade I have used those two guides:
http://ccmexec.com/2016/03/configmgr-cb-1602-server-2008-r2-in-place-upgrade-to-2012-r2/
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgr_geek_speak/2016/03/23/configuration-manager-1602-on-windows-2008-r2-sql-2008-r2upgrading-to-windows-2012-r2-sql-2014/

Current state:
1) Console is not working as it cannot connect to site (yes I'm starting it as an administrator using account which pre-os-upgrade was working correctly even from remote host)
2) Site system is 2012 r2:
- fully updated,
- sql server installed: 2008 r2 enterprise


I don't have any more ideas how to fix this. Any help will be much appreciated.
I can provide any logs which will be required. Just please give path where to find them.

 

SOLUTION:

1) I have checked logs for AdminConsole (logs are located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\AdminUILog\SmsAdminUI.log)
Turned out that there was an error regarding wmi namespace and some other stuff so I have searched Internet for this particular error. I've found a thread regarding SCCM 2007 but still relevant.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3f5f82a4-8ca1-492f-8ca0-44c94dbe547f/unable-to-open-sccm-admin-console?forum=configmgrgeneral
2) I have opened wmimgmt.msc and saw that in list of namespaces ineed root\SMS namepsace is missing.
3) Then in this post: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7e0576dd-e588-403f-8af9-698f730d6813/unable-to-connect-remote-configuration-manager-console?forum=configmanagergeneral
there was information on how to reconstruct the namespace using:

mofcomp file.mof

In my case, mof files were located in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\X64
and not all but some. Still this was enough to reconstruct the namespace and reenable SCCM console to connect to site database.

I just checked briefly the site in console and all my applications are still there so I suppose it'll be easier from now on to debug possible errors.
I just hope that pxe is still working since I've seen somewhere that it might be broken after in-place upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alternative is to run 'Configuration Manager Setup' from the Start Menu on the Site Server.

Choose 'Perform site maintenance or reset this site'.

Choose 'Modify SMS Provider configuration'.

Enter the FQDN of the Site Server.

Click 'Next'.

Setup will detect that SMS Provider is already installed and offer to reinstall it.

Do that 🙂

Additional info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/servers/manage/modify-your-infrastructure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...