mcamero

Apply Unattend.xml Prior to Capturing WIM with Task Sequence Capture Media

Hello,

So it seems that this is a fairly common issue with Windows 10 1703 Creator's Update.  When applying an image via task sequence, the task sequence progress window is hidden behind "Just a Moment..." screen.  The image completes successfully but it just seems as if it is not progressing during this "Just a Moment..." screen.

My Co-Worker found this thread and we have been attempting to apply the answer file but without success.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/SCCM/comments/641te0/osd_progress_hidden_behind_a_just_a_moment_screen/diytpfa/

I also created my own answer file using WSIM.  I've been using these 2 threads for capturing my WIM and applying the answer file.

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/5070-how-can-i-capture-an-image-using-capture-media-in-configmgr-2012/  (Thank you AnyWeb!!)

https://jacobsalmela.com/2016/03/30/how-to-image-a-computer-with-windows-10-using-dism/

What I've done so far:

1. Installed and Configured Windows on VM in Hyper-V.  Copied VM (exported/imported) for use later as golden WIM.

2. Captured WIM using AnyWeb's walkthrough linked above.

3. I used this newly captured WIM in WSIM to create my answer file.

4. I then copied the unattend.xml to the original VM created in step 1 above.  I copied to the location c:\Windows\System32\Sysprep

5. I ran the command from an elevated cmd prompt: sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /unattend:Unattended.xml  (The walkthrough linked above from jaobsalmela states to add /shutdown at the end of that command but I did not add that hoping that I would be able to run the capturemedia.iso created from ConfigMgr after this step.  Unfortunately this step even without the /shutdown switch did in fact shut the VM down.)

6. I started the VM again and of course it went through the OOBE (The answer file worked because I was not prompted for any input, but it did the configuration).  So now I tried to run the capturemedia.iso created in ConfigMgr and one of the first things it does is sysprep, which failed of course.  This is where I am stuck.

So I am trying to apply the unnattend.xml before I capture the WIM, how would I go about this?  Maybe I'm doing the entire process wrong.  I'm still fairly new at this, if I followed jacobsalmela post further, to me it looks as if it creates two different WIM files for two different partitions.  I would not know what to do with these in the ConfigMgr task sequence.

Thank you!