BryanP

Software Updates - Lag Time for Required?

For several years now I've had a simple Patch Tuesday routine.  At 2PM on Patch Tuesday my SUP syncs to get the new catalog, then at 8PM an ADR runs to deploy to my test boxes.   I'd come in the next morning, and if nothing went wrong they would have rebooted and be ready for initial testing.

Earlier this month when Microsoft released the fix for the Outlook 2010 problems created in June, I noticed that when it came in that I had very few machines saying they required it, when I expected over 20,000.  I downloaded the patch for manual testing in the meantime, and the next time I went back to check, Required had populated as expected.

So yesterday was Patch Tuesday.  None of my test boxes rebooted.  So I looked, and I'm seeing Required populated up through 8/7/2017 at 12:41PM, and nothing past that.  Based on that I'm expecting things to populate mid day today, which I will be watching for, but does anybody have an idea why this delay would begin happening when I've never seen it before this month?

image.thumb.png.d77a671ffd0eef8f972eb3d491b53d17.png

Still trying to figure out what's going on.  They finally populated sometime after 8PM last night.  I know because I have a second test ADR scheduled to run on Wednesday at 8PM, and none of the new updates have been marked as downloaded or deployed.  *sigh*  Time to dig deeper, but at least I can begin testing updates now.  I have a suspicion as to what the problem is, but I'll have to argue with someone who controls settings I don't manage.  *sigh*

Remember a lot of the console data is cached. Reports will always show you live data.

Personally I would never setup an ADR for SU, only Virus defs. Also remember that depending on how to setup your ADR, it can take time before it is seen and deployed.

So this month I'm still seeing new updates as not required by clients, when I know they are.  I've eliminated what I thought was causing it last time (we had problems with the anti virus client on the main site server monopolizing processor time). 

Right now I'm manually downloading the updates I know I will need and adding them to the deployment package.  Based on last month, I expect the required and installed fields for 9/12 to populate sometime tonight.

Does anyone know if it's normal to have a 24-36 hour delay between the updates showing up in the catalog under All Software Updates and the Required field populating?