gopi8883

After Deploying Windows 10, PC struck on "Why did my PC restart?" Page

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem! We just updated a test TS with 1703 yesterday and get this error.

Strangely the first build I did worked, logged in, all looked good. Then I rebooted and it auto-logged in as defaultuser() - the screen would go blank but I could remotely access it. A few more reboots and the dreaded "Why did my PC restart" appeared.

I've since built the same hardware twice with no changes. It completes but goes straight to the "Why ...." screen every time now.

It is definitely using UEFI. The drive is definitely C: - Group Policy does not apply during OSD so can't see it's that.

Could be as simple as a re-order as suggested above so will probably add a reboot after the SCCM client. I will look at the unattend.xml and upgrading the ADK to 1703 next. I also don't see the TS progress any more, just get "Just a moment..." displayed and a spinning wheel.

It was Group Policy - apologies to Gavin1973 who suggested that :mellow: That's why my first build worked until a reboot - policy hadn't applied to it yet.

Not sure which policy is doing this yet - we already had Consumer Experience disabled. 

Gavin - what's the private store key you changed?

p.s. Adding a reboot after the SCCM Client install brought back it displaying the TS progress box during the build.

OK found 2 ways round this. Disabling the following group policy: 'Block launching Windows Store apps with Windows Runtime API access from hosted content'. We had set this on recommendation from a PEN test.

Also the following unattend settings have the same effect:

<settings pass="oobeSystem">

<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

Note: These settings are deprecated in 1703 but work for now.

Did anyone find a fix for this? We are experiencing this with deploying 1709 currently. 

Our setup:

• UEFI + SecureBoot
  • SCCM CB 1706
  • Windows 10 ADK 1709
  • Windows OS 1709 Pro
  • Not using a Private Store. Store is disabled via 3rd party tool
  • Problem: Stuck in the "Just a moment..." blue screen after the TS completes. Eventually it times out/reboots to the "Why did my PC restart?" screen

I recently had this issue with my 1709 image. It was getting the "Why did my PC restart" screen as soon as it was time for the task sequence to add the machine to my domain. I took Config Mangler's suggestion and added a restart in my task sequence right after "Setup Windows and Configmgr", but before it was time to join the domain, just so I could get back into the PXE environment and get an error box. Instead this actually fixed my issue and everything went through.

(Don't forget to check "The currently installed default operatins system" mark in your reboot.)

I have the Microsoft consumer experiences turned off in the registry of my .wim if that matters.