ImaNewb

Failed to Import Boot Image (New Installation)

Setup:

SQL 2016

SCCM Current Branch (1702)

Memory: 64GB

Disk: 700GB HDD

Type: Virtual Machine on a Hyper-V Failover Cluster

--------------------------------

I installed ADK v10 then installed SCCM and during the installation process it fails to import the default boot images. Now I have tried to import the boot images but that fails as well, see attachment. There is no AV on this machine as it is a new installation with basic configuration and I have searched this issue but I cannot get an answer for current branch.

Could anyone have suggestions to help me out here? I even made sure my account had full permissions on the parent folder down to the file level and I still get the same error. Thank you!

ERROR:

INFO: Adding Boot Image Packages, this may take some time... Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:07:53 PM 6432 (0x1920)
INFO: Attempting to export x86 boot image from ADK installation source Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:07:53 PM 6432 (0x1920)
ERROR: Failed to call method ExportDefaultBootImage. Error 0x80041001 Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:07:54 PM 6432 (0x1920)
ERROR: Failed to export x86 default boot image from ADK Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:07:54 PM 6432 (0x1920)
INFO: Attempting to export x64 boot image from ADK installation source Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:07:54 PM 6432 (0x1920)
ERROR: Failed to call method ExportDefaultBootImage. Error 0x80041001 Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:08:04 PM 6432 (0x1920)
ERROR: Failed to export x64 default boot image from ADK Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:08:04 PM 6432 (0x1920)
WARN: Setup does not upgrade customized boot image package. Please update it manually. Configuration Manager Setup 8/15/2017 2:08:04 PM 6432 (0x1920)

FailedImport.png

Hi,

Which version of the ADK did you install and to which folder? it is recommended to leave it at the default C:\ location. There have been issues with TEMP directories as well, what is the TEMP Variable configured for your site?

Regards,
Jörgen

Jorgen,

ADK Version 10 and I installed it to D:\ since I only want C:\ for the Windows System files.

I was able to figure this out after much research, apparently "Secure Boot" was blocking the imports of the boot images into SCCM. Once I disabled it, I was able to import boot images without issues.

Thanks!

I had the same problem but I was unwilling to accept the concept of turning off secure boot.

Eventually I found this TechNet blog post: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2017/04/14/known-issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1703/

The blog post has been updated with a download that has the problem files re-released with the proper digital signature. After following the directions in the included read.me file I was able to manually create the default boot images.