TheNameIAlwaysWanted

W10 deployment MDT task sequence vs non-MDT task sequence

Hello all, I used the guide in the sticky post to install SCCM CB, followd this guide to deploy W10 using the MDT task sequence, but that gives me a very long task sequence (with stuff I don't need) , and only a default Windows installation.
I'm my job as an it-admin I've had a little bit of experience with SCCM 2012r2, and in that version we used to deploy OS (W7 in this case) using a 'regular' task sequence including installing drivers, applications etc. and used a custom image.

My questions in short:

- what's the difference between a MDT task sequence and a non-MDT task sequence, and why would you use one over the other?
- can I just remove the stuff I don't need/use from the MDT task sequence?
- is there a guide on how to customize your image (i.e. uninstall some default Windows programs, shortcut for program's etc. etc.) capture that and deploy that with SCCM?

Thanks a lot!

Hello, 

The difference between MDT task sequence and non-MDT one is basically the latter does not use MDT functionality.  In my experience both practically give the same results but an MDT one gives you more customisation I believe but I am not an expert when comes to differences to be honest.

You could just remove stuff that you do not want to use or at least disable and test the build still works before removal. 

With windows 10 I have not built a reference image like I did for Windows 7 but basically used a build task sequence  and then installed applications as part of that task sequence.

I always use a .wim and in the case of Windows 10 I discovered a PowerShell script to remove the built-in .apx (programs) I did not want to use.  Other customisations included setting the default programs using a custom XML and other changes that can be made is to the start layout but to be honest there was not a requirement for me to go that granular.

This is the link to download the PowerShell script to remove Win10 apps and I have used from 1507 to current 1709 without problems.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Removing-Built-in-apps-65dc387b

Both perfectly functional. MDT integration takes the need of most scripting away and gives you access to all the MDT variables, MDT database, toolkit and customsettings.ini. If your work is simple, than keep it simple, neither choice is "bad".  Myself, I use the MDT integration for all the reasons I mention above.