Braam

MDT right for me

Question

Hello All

For my final school project i have to develop a proces to deploy windows systems using a .wim file. The current situation is that we start the systems in WindowsPE and get our .wim files from a NAS and install the operation system we want.

This is perfect for our needs. except the maintenance is bad and time consuming. At the moment we setup a new .wim file by making a clean system and syprep and capture it using imageX. We would like to automate is more, so we are looking for tools that support our needs. It seems Microsoft Deployment Tools are perfect.

I have been trying out MDT for some time now, but i cant get a good capture of a .wim file. I get the feeling i need a server even to capture an image, i thought i would only need it to deploy a system. But now when i make a capture sequence and i run it on a reference pc it starts, but i don't get a capture or any other feedback. it just runs on the background.

Can you guys give me some advice regarding Windows Deployment?

Wich tools do you reccomend instead of MDT or is MDT perfect?

If there are people here with lots of experience can you give me some tips and tricks? or tell me what to research?

Now i start the systems from a USB with WindowsPE, what are the advantages of a server environment?

Thanks you all for all the help

Greetings,

Braam

2 answers to this question

hi MDT is perfect for doing what you want and there are several PowerShell script here on windows-noob to automate the creation of your first MDT deployment share on Windows Server,  here's an example -

i'd suggest you use virtual machines to build and capture your images from and then deploy those captured images to your intended targets,

good luck,

cheers

niall