I just installed 1709 and there are some new appx packages i would like to remove. 

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *people* | select name, PackageFullName

Name                                   PackageFullName
----                                   ---------------
Microsoft.Windows.PeopleExperienceHost Microsoft.Windows.PeopleExperienceHost_10.0.16299.15_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2t.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *people* | Remove-AppxPackage

But getting the following error:
Remove-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFA, Removal failed. Please contact your software vendor.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CFA)
error 0x80070032: AppX Deployment Remove operation on package

I can remove other packages....

Thanks for the help.

image.png.97b0b8f688e58c6a35c3f0206623117e.png

There are 2 appx packages for 'People':

Microsoft.People is the actual 'People' app in the start menu that can be removed
Microsoft.Windows.PeopleExperienceHost probably can't be removed since it's embedded in to the OS (in the taskbar/settings).

Yes to disable it by default, the registry is:
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\People" /v PeopleBand /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

I also added the other 2 to make sure notifications stay off if someone accidentally re-enables the icon on the taskbar
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\People\ShoulderTap" /v ShoulderTap /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\People\ShoulderTap" /v ShoulderTapAudio /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

As long as it's hidden it doesn't really seem to do anything. And if you remove the Microsoft.People app, it's even more useless as it won't be able to actually connect to anything.

I normally use

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.PackageName -like "Microsoft.People*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$_.PackageFullName -like "Microsoft.People*"} | Remove-AppxPackage

with no issue.