mels_101

Pxe port numbers

Hi all

There’s not much good accurate online documents that confirm the pxe ports needed they appear to miss some.

I’ve opened the standard ports it mentions online but pxe still isn’t working and I suspect it’s ports getting blocked.

“The daemon listens on port 69 but responds on a randomly chosen high port.”

Does anybody know what this port range is? As I can’t open up all ports due to security and need a range. Is there any online docs regarding this range?

Thanks in advance.

Mel

it's documented here, have you seen this yet ?

Trivial FTP (TFTP) Daemon: The Trivial FTP (TFTP) Daemon system service does not require a user name or password and is an integral part of Windows Deployment Services (WDS). The Trivial FTP Daemon service implements support for the TFTP protocol that's defined by the following RFCs:

RFC 350: TFTP

RFC 2347: Option extension

RFC 2348: Block size option

RFC 2349: Time-out interval and transfer size options

Trivial File Transfer Protocol is designed to support diskless boot environments. TFTP Daemons listen on UDP port 69 but respond from a dynamically allocated high port. Therefore, enabling this port allows the TFTP service to receive incoming TFTP requests but doesn't allow the selected server to respond to those requests. You can't enable the selected server to respond to inbound TFTP requests unless the TFTP server is configured to respond from port 69.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/hierarchy/ports