Javagenki

How do I get a list of patches just applied to a server?

Question

I’ve set up a task that will scan for available updates, install and then reboot (x3) but I am trying to figure out how to report what patches were just installed on the server. Is there a way to do this via the task sequence or other methods? I’d like to automate this so the report is sent out after patching in an email. Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

Thanks, Garth. The reports understandably seem to lag a bit behind. I'm trying to add this step via the task sequence.

I think I'm close with something like:

wmic qfe where (InstalledOn like "11/2/2017") /format:htable > hotfixes.htm

Then copy that file to an SCCM share. Just need to find the right command to dynamically get qfes applied in the past day.

I'm still new to SCCM so thought there was a way a better way to get that data via the task sequence.

QFE, does not listed all SU so understand that it will/can be missing some. 

Since CM applied the SU it shouldn't be behind on what was installed more than 15 minutes (default setting).

I'm not following you as to how this will all be used together. 

Hmm, that's good to know re QFE.

I currently use the task sequence to apply the updates as I mentioned above then I've added the following to copy the logs to an SCCM share.

http://schadda.blogspot.be/2012/01/sccm-2012-how-to-catch-errors-in-task.html

I've also set up a Status Filter Rule that monitors for 11171 (Success) and 11170 (Failure) message IDs. When found it runs a Powershell script to send a Success or Failure email for the server to an alias. This email is where I'd like to list the patches that have just been applied to that particular server.

Seems overly complicated but it's the best that I've come up so far.

Remember just because a SU was applied doesn't mean it is installed or still installed or will install again. 

There isn't a report that will show you just there are report that will show what is installed and not installed for a computer.