duberry_wotsit

Win 7 to 1703/1709 Hard Block - Intel Graphics

Hi,

I am deploying in-place upgrades to many systems using standard task sequence.  This has been working well with version 1607, I've done over 1,500 machines this way.  I have tried to switch to use the 1703 or 1709 media however on system models which were fine with 1607 we now see them fail with a hard block due to having older Intel HD Graphics.  Systems with this issue include HP EliteDesk 800 G1 range.

I cannot get the block to be ignored using the options in ConfigMgr and I'm not sure why it is an issue as going from 7 to 1607 to 1703/1709 works fine.  There is a Windows 10 driver for these systems in WU.  A rebuild works fine.

Any ideas how to get around this?  I've tried updating the drivers in Win 7 first but still it gets blocked.

I am not sure what you mean by an hard block is this a failure in the task sequence? And a rebuild of that device using your task sequence is working just not the in-place upgrade?

Personally speaking I would now use the Windows 10 Servicing/Updates to go from Windows 10 1607.

I have yet to deploy 1709 but I have deployed 1703 in-place upgrade to a few test machines using the above method and have not come across any problems.

It may be worth trying this method to see if this works for you. 

14 hours ago, gavin1973 said:

I am not sure what you mean by an hard block is this a failure in the task sequence? And a rebuild of that device using your task sequence is working just not the in-place upgrade?

Personally speaking I would now use the Windows 10 Servicing/Updates to go from Windows 10 1607.

I have yet to deploy 1709 but I have deployed 1703 in-place upgrade to a few test machines using the above method and have not come across any problems.

It may be worth trying this method to see if this works for you. 

Managed to resolve this.  Hard block is what you will see in the compatibility xml results within the logs.  The issue turned out to be that I copied the 1607 upgrade task sequence and just changed the image to 1703 or 1709.  When analysing what was running, despite the "ignore dismissible..." box being ticked SCCM was not passing the switch to setup.exe.  I created a new TS from scratch and that works correctly.  Have found other also report this issue on TechNet.

Servicing doesn't work for us as I need to re-apply all the language packs during deployment so TS at present is the simplest way to achieve this.

Thanks

On 11/10/2017 at 3:08 AM, duberry_wotsit said:

Managed to resolve this.  Hard block is what you will see in the compatibility xml results within the logs.  The issue turned out to be that I copied the 1607 upgrade task sequence and just changed the image to 1703 or 1709.  When analysing what was running, despite the "ignore dismissible..." box being ticked SCCM was not passing the switch to setup.exe.  I created a new TS from scratch and that works correctly.  Have found other also report this issue on TechNet.

Servicing doesn't work for us as I need to re-apply all the language packs during deployment so TS at present is the simplest way to achieve this.

Thanks

Can you post the technet link you found?  I think I'm having this issue as well and would like to know more...