Westy182

USMT migration of W7 Sticky Notes to W10

Hi all,

I really hope someone can help as I've spent an unbelievable amount of time trying to get this working with no success.

I'm using USMT from the 1607 ADK and I'm trying to relocate a legacy Sticky Note file (.snt) from a windows 7 machine to the new Sticky Note modern app location on a Windows 10 machine.

W7 location = %AppData%\Roaming\Sticky Notes\StickyNotes.snt

W10 (1607) location = %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

My USMT script is currently able to sucessfully collect up the snt file from a W7 machine and return it to the exact same place on a W10 machine but a manual step is then required to move this file to the new loaction.  A legacy snt file can be migrated to W10 by creating a new folder called "Legacy" and putting the "StickyNotes.snt" file in there and renaming it to "ThresholdNotes.snt".  So I require the USMT restore to create the "Legacy" folder, put the "StickyNotes.snt" file in it, then rename it to "ThresholdNotes.snt so that the new path looks like:

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Legacy\ThresholdNotes.snt

This is explianed here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/recover-backup-sticky-notes-data-file-windows-10/

I have found the following info online where someone has apparently got USMT sucessfully migrating snt files to the correct location but I can't get it working:  https://www.mail-archive.com/mdtosd@lists.myitforum.com/msg03057.html

Has anyone successfully managed to migrate StickyNote files over in this way with USMT?

Thanks,

Westy

I found that if you confirm that your USMT scripts have a migration rule for the .snt extension and you let it migrate from a W7 machine to the same location on a W10 machine, the W10 modern app will check the old W7 location and auto migrate any .snt files to the new area on first run.

<!-- This component migrates user files with known extension-->
 <component type="Documents" context="UserAndSystem">
  <displayName _locID="miguser.userdata">User Data</displayName>
  <role role="Data">
   <rules context="System">
    <include>
     <objectSet>

<script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDrivePatterns ("* [*.snt]", "Fixed")</script>
     </objectSet>

• Thanks 1