Westy182

USMT migration of W7 Sticky Notes to W10

Apologies as I was rushing when I posted that snippet above.

Open the "MigUser.xml" which is a standard file with USMT. Search for "This component migrates user files with known extension" and then add the following line into this section:

<script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDrivePatterns ("* [*.snt]", "Fixed")</script>

This should then migrate any W7 .snt files from APPDATA/Roaming/MICROSOFT/Sticky notes to the same place on a W10 machine.  Then the first time you launch Windows 10 Sticky Notes it will check this location for any legacy .snt files for that user profile and migrate it into the W10 area AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Hope this helps,

Westy

Hello,

I don't use miguser.xml , I use migdocs.xml since it backsup files on c: drive as well.

I guess I can copy this section from miguser.xml into migdocs.xml with added line for snt files and try.

so I added the line to migdocs.xml as follow:

<!-- This component migrates data in user context -->
  <component type="Documents" context="User">
    <displayName>MigDocUser</displayName>
    <role role="Data">
      <rules>
        <include filter='MigXmlHelper.IgnoreIrrelevantLinks()'>
          <objectSet>
            <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDocPatterns ("FALSE","TRUE","FALSE")</script>
          </objectSet>
        </include>
        <exclude filter='MigXmlHelper.IgnoreIrrelevantLinks()'>
          <objectSet>
            <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDocPatterns ("FALSE","FALSE","FALSE")</script>
            <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDrivePatterns ("* [*.snt]", "Fixed")</script>
          </objectSet>
        </exclude>

the stickynotes.snt seems to be being backed up since I can see it in usmt.mig , but when I run loadstate it is not being restored.

I manually copied it to to  APPDATA/Roaming/MICROSOFT/Sticky notes path to see if windows 10 will convert it as you said, but did not have any luck with that either.

what build of windows 10 do you use?

I am using 1709

thanks