winpe_destrian

HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2 issues with docking station

Hello all,

I've developed a nice OSD TS for Windows 10. This works great on all devices with the exception of the EliteBook x360 1030 G2. This is Windows 10 1709

Issue:
-Post-image the HP USB-C Elite Docking Station indefinitely installs drivers when anything on the computer is done (opening CMD, IE, etc.)

Troubleshooting thus far:
-If we image the device with only the install.wim from the Microsoft ISO, it works fine. This is a non-domain joined device with a local admin. Device works 100% as it should. Joins domain and still no issues
-If we image using my image (unmodified install.wim), but my drivers, it fails
-Created a package for drivers (tutorial found on this site) using DISM. This has worked perfect in 2012 R2 and now in CB
-Added the docking station executable after the driver install step. This was working (though dock still didn't work), but now this step produces "This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running"
-Opened a ticket with Microsoft Premier Support
-Opened a ticket with HP Elite support. They reviewed an IDR .cab file from the aforementioned working device and my broken device. Their engineers say it is missing key drivers and they need to be installed in a specific order. This still isn't working and the docking station is now failing with the "This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running" error
-I've installed every driver and firmware update I can find for these two items post-image and still nothing works

Thoughts?

The only thing I have not done is imported drivers into SCCM natively and create a driver package. I've since done that and after this image finishes I will test that method. I was hoping to avoid this because in 2012 R2 I had many issues uploading drivers because SCCM was not handling duplicate drivers very well. I abandoned doing it this way so maybe I never learned how to properly do it since manually using DISM in the TS with packages worked flawlessly on 8 dells and 6 HP's -- but just no this x360

The above attempt failed. Same result; after logging in the device indefinitely began installing the docking station again.

I now have an image going with all of my drivers imported into SCCM with a standard package created.

If the standard SCCM package also fails, I am using the HP SoftPaq downloader and instead of creating a cab with "Show latest SoftPaqs", I am creating it with "Show all SoftPaqs" and "SSM Compliant". SSM Compliant means they will "automatically install". Moving the contents of this new cab into the above screengrabbed folder and redistributing content... 

Did you find any solution to this?

We have a similar problem, although we're using the USB-C Network Adapter instead of a dock. It seems that the adapter is not always recognised after windows image + drivers + sccm client is applied and the computer reboots. When the TS is reinitialising, ipconfig shows no usb-c adapter, but if I remove it and reconnects it, it starts working again.

Regards,
Pär

I currently have the HP x360 1030G2 and have numerous issues with imaging.  Like this forum, I have found several other references on the HP support site for the same.  I can only get it to image using the usb-c that comes with the unit.  Other 3rd party ethernet adapters do not get recognized by the bios and therefore cannot pull a pxe IP address.  Normally, due to the NIC not responding upon OS/driver install and reboot, I use the USB offline media in conjunction with the usb-c ethernet adapter. Typically, it works fine.

Creating usb media drivers is cumbersome and not always successful (seems very temperamental).  I would love, like everyone, to use only the NIC or type there of.  I have tried the thunderbolt 3 dock (same problems), usb port replicator that has an integrated NIC (same problems), StarTech usb ethernet, and the M$ usb ethernet. All fail at the same point like others.

I have tried to not install drivers and let Windows do that as indicated by other forums. Not only do several drivers not get installed, it still fails on much of my Application TS's, so the image is incomplete.

I was thinking of trying this newer HP USB-C 4 dock https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g4 .  Has anyone tried this for image deployment?  My guess is that it might fail as well.  

Has anyone found a solution for the notebooks w/o integrated NIC's?

For reference...I have had this is since the beginning, but now I am using SCCM 1802 and deploying Win10 1703 (soon I will skip and use 1803 when the proper iso is avail).

I think the Windows 10 1709 driver issues are fixed in a recent Cumulative Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093105/windows-10-update-kb4093105

Addresses an issue that prevents certain devices from working on Windows 10, version 1709, machines when the “Disable new DMA devices when this computer is locked” Group Policy is active. The non-working devices are internal, PCI-based peripherals (wireless network drivers and input and audio peripherals). These peripherals can fail on systems whose firmware blocks the peripherals from performing Direct Memory Access (DMA) at boot.

could that be your issue ?

59 minutes ago, anyweb said:

I think the Windows 10 1709 driver issues are fixed in a recent Cumulative Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093105/windows-10-update-kb4093105

Addresses an issue that prevents certain devices from working on Windows 10, version 1709, machines when the “Disable new DMA devices when this computer is locked” Group Policy is active. The non-working devices are internal, PCI-based peripherals (wireless network drivers and input and audio peripherals). These peripherals can fail on systems whose firmware blocks the peripherals from performing Direct Memory Access (DMA) at boot.

could that be your issue ?

Interesting. I wonder if this could be.  The one thing to ask is whether this problem persisted to lower versions of Win10 (e.g. 1607/1703) since I have had this problem with both (v1703 is what I currently have).  My assumption is that the newer Win10 1803 build will have this correct in that OS version.  When it gets released later this month I can test with that build and see whether the problem persists.

4 hours ago, itrider said:

[...]

I was thinking of trying this newer HP USB-C 4 dock https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g4 .  Has anyone tried this for image deployment?  My guess is that it might fail as well.  

Has anyone found a solution for the notebooks w/o integrated NIC's?

[...]

We tested that dock just to see if there was any difference in behavior between it and the usb-c adapter. We had five of them when testing and they all worked fine for us, actually.

For different reasons, we still needed to get those usb-c adapters working, so we finally came up with a crude workaround, involving a powershell script (from anyweb, actually - kudos!). Right after reboot after installing windows image + drivers + sccm client the script is checking for an ip address, and if not found, a message is displayed saying the adapter needs to be removed and reinserted. Not at all perfect, especially since this is half way through installing, but it works. I'm hoping it works better with 1803.