winpe_destrian

HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2 issues with docking station

17 hours ago, spyder said:

We tested that dock just to see if there was any difference in behavior between it and the usb-c adapter. We had five of them when testing and they all worked fine for us, actually.

For different reasons, we still needed to get those usb-c adapters working, so we finally came up with a crude workaround, involving a powershell script (from anyweb, actually - kudos!). Right after reboot after installing windows image + drivers + sccm client the script is checking for an ip address, and if not found, a message is displayed saying the adapter needs to be removed and reinserted. Not at all perfect, especially since this is half way through installing, but it works. I'm hoping it works better with 1803.

Hi Spyder,

Any chance you would be willing to share that script? Did you call it as a "run command line" or as "run powershell script" TS? I ordered one of those docks; however, they are on back order for 2 weeks so it will be a while before I can test. By that time, hopefully the mvls 1803 will be out so I can start testing.

29 minutes ago, itrider said:

Hi Spyder,

Any chance you would be willing to share that script? Did you call it as a "run command line" or as "run powershell script" TS? I ordered one of those docks; however, they are on back order for 2 weeks so it will be a while before I can test. By that time, hopefully the mvls 1803 will be out so I can start testing.

Of course! The script is based on anyweb's guide. This is what it looks like:

<#
# niall brady 2016/5/25
# simple script to allow for quick messages in a task sequence
#>

#Hide the progress dialog
$TSProgressUI = new-object -comobject Microsoft.SMS.TSProgressUI
$TSProgressUI.CloseProgressDialog()
#connect to Task Sequence environment
$tsenv = New-Object -COMObject Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment
# read variables set in the task sequence
#$title = $tsenv.Value("title")
#$message = $tsenv.Value("message")
#$returncode = $tsenv.Value("returncode")

# Hard-coded variables
$title = "No IP address"
$message = "Network adapter was not activated after reboot.

Remove the adapter en reinsert it,
and press Enter [OK]."
$returncode = "0"

# now show a popup message to the end user
write-host $title $message 
[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“System.Windows.Forms”)
[Windows.Forms.MessageBox]::Show(“$message”, “$title”, [Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons]::OK, [Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon]::Warning)
Start-Sleep -s 10
Exit $returncode

And this is what that part of our TS looks like:
image.png.65c92b4b27ab09224a2d86fdbc4023bf.png

The group Retry Domain Join when network adapters undetected has this condition:
image.png.49c3f0ad6f6ab061f05f6dd53c41fb53.png

This is because we also want to check if domain join failed and then retry it. (Insert your domain name where the red is.)

The Manually remove and reinsert NIC step is a Run Command Line:

ServiceUI.exe -process:TSProgressUI.exe %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy bypass -nologo -file nicproblem.ps1

The script nicproblem.ps1 in a Package.
This step has this condition:
image.png.6dd540d7ac5dccc2ecb8b8a2a3e6de39.png

Then we run the Join Domain or Workgroup step with this condition:
image.png.e04b8cfaf73f3f965e7acf4686211109.png

You might want to try without the Join Domain step, but we found it was needed in some cases. Not sure when or why, though, as the whole x360 1030G2 problem seems very inconsistent.
We also have the HP Pro x2 612 G2 model, which is similar in that it doesn't have an onboard nic and we use the same hp usb-c nic adapter and we have had no problem at all with that model. Go figure. :)

I hope this was helpful, please let me know if anything is unclear.