xands

Software Licence Managment

Question

I have searched and cannot find any good sites to find the answer. What kind of Licensing management does sccm offer? If anyone has any good resources or advice, that would be great.

Here is what my company would like:
-The ability to track license key usage (Microsoft & non-Microsoft products)
-be able to separate different department machine (maybe go by collection), to assign different keys for the same software eg) two different department purchase the same software but have different keys. We need to track how many we have used and how many we have left for each department
-Once we run out of licenses, are we still able to push/install the software? Will it tell us that we have run out?

Will sccm handle these types of scenarios or does the company need to find a different software license Management solution?

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply! That is pretty much what I came up with too. Just so I understand (I know that the company will ask), If you set it up, sccm will track what software you have installed on each machine. Is that about it? I have read about an option of uploading a csv with licensing info. What would the purpose be?

Yes, CMCB will inventory what is installed on each computer. But you will not know what Lickey was used to install it.  Importing the CVS only allow you to use a report to see over and under numbers, but I have never found it all the useful.