cumbrianblues

Windows 10 Delivery Optimization not working for Express Updates

Hi

We use SCCM CB (1706) to deploy Windows 10 Express Updates, in the most part this is working well, however we have a handful of machines that seem to be swamping the network bandwidth trying to download the express updates.

From what I can tell, the client is working through the delta's and requesting files, but when the download kicks in it seems to be trying to download all of the .psf files from the Ditribution Point instead of the ranges needed to update the machine.

From the CMBitsManager.log file of a machine not working 

image.thumb.png.8b5c814ca2bbc9863b2dfd0d69457d16.png

this then repeats until it moves onto the next one.

The total bytes corrolates to the size of one of the psf files, but if you watch the log it changes to the sizes of the others too, 1208934

So it looks like the client(s) are continuely downloading all the psf files which is killing the network. For reference the Delivery Optimization service on these machines seems to be 'not there' i.e its listed but it cannot be started/stopped or edited. The downloads never complete.

On a machine this is downloading the updates correctly we can see in all the SCCM logs the machines is indeed working through the express updates and picking out the ranges it needed. Example from CMBitsManger.log on a working machine

image.thumb.png.b84c213377542062fe32fb1ae68c9833.png 

The express download on this machine completed as expected, the only difference being is that the Delivery Optimization service looks as you would expect, i.e can stop/start/edit it.

We have the Download Mode set to 0 (http only) via GPO.

Has anyone come across this before? How can I get the service into a working state on these machines?

Thanks