allenr74

Safe to Import Drivers When Task Sequence is Running?

Is it safe to import drivers for a newly acquired model while an osd task sequence might be running?  I say might be running because our company is a global one and imaging of machines can be going on without my knowledge.  Should I wait for our change management window to import new drivers for use in the OSD or is it safe to do so during business hours?

I've sometimes wondered this too, as to whether any changes made to the TS apply to a existing machine being imaged already.

I guess one way would be to insert the Driver install step, disable it, then you can add the driver pack and configure the step as neccessary. Finally when ready just enable the step.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:13 PM, allenr74 said:

Is it safe to import drivers for a newly acquired model while an osd task sequence might be running?  I say might be running because our company is a global one and imaging of machines can be going on without my knowledge.  Should I wait for our change management window to import new drivers for use in the OSD or is it safe to do so during business hours?

yes, however any changes you make to the task sequence (for example adding new steps, removing steps) won't apply to any running task sequences as those computers have already download the task sequence policy (the instrucitons containing what to do in the task sequence),

If you update the distribution points of any driver package that is referenced in a running task sequence then any computer that is running that task sequence may fail due to missing the content, so plan updating the content by creating v1, v2 etc driver packages and once the content is on the dp's you can switch the driver package step in the task sequence with the new version of the same (or newer) package