Dear Experts,

Currently Managing the infra with 5600 End Points (1 Primary, 22 DP's) with Windows 7 Management. We are looking to upgrade to Current Branch 1702 and So on.

Prior to the Deployment, Preferred to Create 1 Test Environment.

We have already 1 PROD Environment. SYS Management Container is given with Permission (Full Control) for Primary Site server (Host name) of the Machine.

If we grant the access for System Management Container with Full Control (For TEST Environment) server. It will be creating automatically with New Container (Right below to SMS-MP) right?

Also, Preferred to get advice from you, about there will not be any impact with existing Containers.

For added safer side, Shall I create another folder right below to System Management (Container) as TEST to progress further.

Please share your advice

you should separate your test environment from production entirely, i.e. use a separate test vm environment with separate AD, SCCM, etc virtual machines that you test with, I wouldn't mix or recommend using a test lab in production

here's a guide to setup your test environment

Dear Admin,

I feel so happy to receive your response. You are the real helping person for many people like me. No one forget your post/materials..:)

Regarding my environment:

I do not get chance to create new AD, DNS in my Environment. So Preferred to use the PROD Domain Controller.

However, the following plan is in my check list. Happy to adopt your idea if you feel the following is not good..Please advice.

1. Creating Separate TEST service account for all Installation activities

2. Creating Sepereate Test AD Security Group's

3. Assigning the System Management Container - Delegate Permission for the TEST AD Security Group Only. In PROD We are having the Site Code as OLY, and plan to use the Site code as PPT or DEV for Test Environment

4. During the Boundary group creation, will not use the option use this boundary group for Site assignment

If this Precautions made, Is this Okay.

I Would like to follow your advice..:)

once again, don't create a test environment in production, you'll regret it later.

Get a laptop or desktop with 16GB or ram and 500GB ssd and install AD and SCCM  virtual machines on that, can you not do that instead ?

if you use the production environment to do your test environment then all i can say is read what i said above

cheers

niall

Dear Admin,

I Would like to hear some additional feedback from you on this.

Currently my infrastructure is having the following

Windows Server 2008 R2 - AD + DNS

Windows Server 2008 R2  - DHCP

Windows Server 2008 R2 - SCCM 2012 SP2 (5.00.8239.1000) with SQL 2008 R2 Standard, with 21 DP's *All DP's are Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard*

My Windows Team is not aware of the status of Schema Level or OS Patch Level. So they are not looking or allowing me to install the SCCM on Test Environment to Upgrade from (SCCM 2012 SP2 to SCCM CB V1702)

Hence the possible approach arrived for Testing as follows:

1. With help of Network - Creating an isolated Subnet, VLAN in the Data Center Level 

2. AD + DNS, DHCP, SCCM Primary Site (Clone, and getting moved with in the Isolated subnet VLAN Range)

3. The Test Environment will be also having few Clients (Which is with in the isolated subnet)

4.Upgrade activity starts with Windows SERVER 2008 to 2012, SQL 2008 to SQL 2012, Upgrade the SCCM 2012 SP2 to SCCM CB V1702, TEST DP Upgrade on one of the Remote Site (With in the Same IP Subnet Range)

5. Install Client *Client Upgrade from SCCM 2012 SP2 to SCCM 2012 CB V1702*

Based on the Testing and Validation, We will perform the activity on PROD

Any feedback/inputs from you Please...

you should not upgrade the server os until SCCM can support it, and that means SCCM needs to be at version 1602 or later

When you use Configuration Manager version 1602 or later, it is also supported to upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 (See additional details.

more details below https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/upgrade-on-premises-infrastructure#bkmk_from2008r2

Upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2

This operating system upgrade scenario has the following conditions:

Before upgrade:

• Uninstall WSUS 3.2.
    Before you upgrade a server operating system to Windows Server 2012 R2, you must uninstall WSUS 3.2 from the server. For information about this critical step, see the New and changed functionality section in Windows Server Update Services Overview in the Windows Server documentation.

After upgrade:

• Ensure the Windows Deployment Service is started and running for the following site system roles (this service is stopped during upgrade):

• Site server
    • Management point
    • Application Catalog web service point
    • Application Catalog website point
  • Ensure the Windows Process Activation and WWW/W3svc services are enabled, set for automatic start, and running for the following site system roles (these services are disabled during upgrade):

• Site server
    • Management point
  • Ensure each server that hosts a site system role continues to meet all of perquisites for site system roles that run on that server. For example, you might need to reinstall BITS, WSUS, or configure specific settings for IIS.

After restoring any missing prerequisites, restart the server one more time to ensure services are started and operational.

Unsupported upgrade scenarios

The following Windows Server upgrade scenarios are commonly asked about, but not supported by Configuration Manager:

• Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 or later
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012

5 minutes ago, anyweb said:

you should not upgrade the server os until SCCM can support it, and that means SCCM needs to be at version 1602 or later

When you use Configuration Manager version 1602 or later, it is also supported to upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 (See additional details.

more details below https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/upgrade-on-premises-infrastructure#bkmk_from2008r2

Upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2

This operating system upgrade scenario has the following conditions:

Before upgrade:

• Uninstall WSUS 3.2.
    Before you upgrade a server operating system to Windows Server 2012 R2, you must uninstall WSUS 3.2 from the server. For information about this critical step, see the New and changed functionality section in Windows Server Update Services Overview in the Windows Server documentation.

After upgrade:

• Ensure the Windows Deployment Service is started and running for the following site system roles (this service is stopped during upgrade):

• Site server
    • Management point
  • Ensure the Windows Process Activation and WWW/W3svc services are enabled, set for automatic start, and running for the following site system roles (these services are disabled during upgrade):

• Site server
    • Management point
  • Ensure each server that hosts a site system role continues to meet all of perquisites for site system roles that run on that server. For example, you might need to reinstall BITS, WSUS, or configure specific settings for IIS.

After restoring any missing prerequisites, restart the server one more time to ensure services are started and operational.

Unsupported upgrade scenarios

The following Windows Server upgrade scenarios are commonly asked about, but not supported by Configuration Manager:

• Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 or later
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012

Dear Admin,

Thank You again for your teachings.

Please, let me know - Am I giving the correct plan and Please correct me If I Wrong.

1. At Present the Infrastructure is with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (Included with SQL 2008 R2 Standard) with 22 DP's (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) with SCCM 2012 SP2 for Supporting 5000 + Clients

2. At Present, We are looking forward to upgrade the SCCM Environment to Current Branch. The reason for upgrading to Current Branch is to support the Windows 10 Operating System upgrade and deployment.

3. If it is Windows 10 Operating System, the Possible upgrade is needed with SCCM CB V1702 for Supporting Windows 10 Clients with Version 1709

Hence, We have Plan to upgrade the Operating System, SQL Upgrade.

However, As per your article - It is Referred by you...

1. I need to upgrade the Configuration Manager upgrade from SCCM 2012 SP2 to SCCM 2012 Version 1602

2. Then, I need to upgrade the Operating System from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 *Along with SQL upgrade from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012* 

3. Once the upgrade is completed, Need to upgrade the Configuration Manager from Version 1602 to V1702 and So on..

Am I correct?

Earlier, I have Posted the Query on MS Article, got confused.

I Would request you to guide me the upgrade approach based on my Infrastructure. So that, I will progress in TEST Environment and move to PROD.

Please forgive if any silly questions

Regards,

Veera

Dear Admin,

I Understand now, that as per my Infra

It is required to upgrade my SCCM Environment to SCCM CB V1602 as Intial Level

Then

I must upgrade the Operating System from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012, SQL upgrade using 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/upgrade-on-premises-infrastructure#bkmk_from2008r2

Then, I must Upgrade the Configuration Manager CB V1602 to V1702 and So on.

My Question now:

If the Current Branch is upgraded to CB V1602 from SCCM 2012 SP2? If I Install the Role called SERVICE CONNECTION POINT

With that help of Service Connection Point? DO I get chance to upgrade from SCCM CB V1602 to V1702 Or Do I need to download the Copy of SCCM CB V1702 ISO File and Install it (For Upgrade). Please Suggest?

By Referring the following. Is that upgrade is Possible from 

SCCM 2012 SP2 to SCCM CB V1606 (With Windows Server 2008 R2 + SQL 2008 R2 STD)

Windows SERVER 2008 Upgrade to Windows Server 2012

SQL 2008 STD upgrade to SQL 2012

SCCM CB V1606, Upgrade to SCCM CB V1702

After that using Service Connection Point further upgrade's. Is this Okay?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/updates

3.png