Dear Admin,

This is the final Approach, Which is planned based on the recommendations/suggestions from MS Tech-net Forums.

However, feel to get advice from you, before progressing.

As I am having WS 2008 R2 STD with SQL 2008 R2 STD, Will upgrade to SCCM CB V1606 as per the recommendations. (SCCM 2012 SP2 to SCCM CB V1606 Using Baseline0

After Completing, the SCCM CB V1606 Upgrade,  Will upgrade 

Operating System, SQL, CB V1606 to Possible Version, DP Upgrade and Client upgrade.

All this is to Satisfy my environment to equip to Windows 10 OS Deployment, Upgrade, Windows 10 Life Cycle Management (Windows 10 V1709)

Please Suggest...

you can upgrade from SCCM 2012 SP2 directly to the 1702 CB baseline.

In-place upgrade paths

Upgrade to version 1702
When you have version 1702 baseline media, you can upgrade the following to a fully licensed version of System Center Configuration Manager version 1702:

• An evaluation install of System Center Configuration Manager version 1702
  • System Center 2012 Configuration Manager with Service Pack 1
  • System Center 2012 Configuration Manager with Service Pack 2
  • System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
  • System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager with Service Pack 1

Once done with the upgrade to 1702, you can upgrade the Operating System of the server.

Thank You Admin,

But my Current Infra is running with Windows Server 2008 R2 along with SQL 2008 R2 as Single Standalone Primary Site with 20+ DP.

All Distribution Points are running with Windows Server 2008 R2 STD.

So, I believe the Upgrade Windows Server and SQL Server is needed to reach SCCM CBV1710 from SCCM 2012 SP2. However, We Preferred to retain the Version of Windows Server 2008 R2 STD for all Distribution Points

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/configs/supported-operating-systems-for-site-system-servers

image.png.b736d8ede933fb8b0d3a726d73285f35.png

Please suggest..

Yes Admin,

Thank You again, for your great efforts and educating me.

Do you think, any other area that I need to focus.

With Regards to HW Sizing., On VM

AS-IS Infra

SCCM 2012 SP2 (5.00.8239.1000)

Pre Requisite's:

Processor  4, Core 8, RAM 32 GB

Windows Server 2008 R2 STD (Version 6.1/Winver 7600 SP1)

SQL 2008 R2 SP1 (10.50.2811)

MDT (6.3.8330.1000)

ADK (10.0.26624)

SCUP 2011 (5.00.1727.0000)

TO-BE Infra with Phase I from SCCM 2012 SP2 to SCCM CB V1606

Processor  4, Core 8, RAM 32 GB

Windows Server 2008 R2 STD (Version 6.1/Winver 7600 SP1)

SQL 2008 R2 SP1 (10.50.2811)

Retaining the DP (With Same Server Level as Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

ADK  - Do we need to upgrade << Please suggest >>

SCUP - Do we need to upgrade << Please suggest >>

Running the System Center Upgrade Configuration Manger V1606 using Baseline Version, and Upgrade via System Center Console using  Service Connection Point Role.

1. Upgrading the Primary Site

2. Upgrading the DP's

3. Upgrading the Client

TO-BE Infra with Phase II from SCCM CB V1606 to SCCM CB V1710

Pre Requisite's:

Processor  4, Core 8, RAM 32 GB  to Processor  8, Core 16, RAM 64 GB

Windows Server 2008 R2 STD (Version 6.1/Winver 7600 SP1) to Windows Server 2012 SP1 (Standard Edition)

SQL 2008 R2 SP1 (10.50.2811) to SQL 2012 Standard Edition

ADK  - Do we need to upgrade << Please suggest >>

SCUP - Do we need to upgrade << Please suggest >>

Using Service Connection Point Role, Upgrade from SCCM CB V1606 to SCCM CB V1702 and So On.

1. Upgrading the Primary Site

2. Upgrading the DP's

3. Upgrading the Client

With this, I can still manage my existing Windows 7 Clients, and also can upgrade to Windows 10 Client and Windows 10 Management (Complete Life Cycle Environment)

Edited by Veera
Phase I and II Differences

On 2/13/2018 at 1:49 PM, anyweb said:

you should separate your test environment from production entirely, i.e. use a separate test vm environment with separate AD, SCCM, etc virtual machines that you test with, I wouldn't mix or recommend using a test lab in production

here's a guide to setup your test environment

Dear Admin,

However,  Will be performing the Green Field Implementation of SCCM CB on Existing PROD Domain Controller.  

If I am using Different Site code, Different Host Name for SCCM CB  - Is that makes any impact on Existing System Management Container Please.

Green Field implentation ? what on earth is that ? and please tell me you are not installing SCCM on a production domain controller, have you had any training with SCCM ?

• Like 1

Dear Admin,

Sorry if any questions are wrong. I have been managing SCCM  - But this Migration is 1st time, that we are doing which the existing version installed by 3rd Party PPL.

Hence, it is require to get some advice from experts like you.

At Present, Upgrade seems to be more complicated with lengthy process. Hence, it is Planned to Install Complete New Environment with Existing Production DC (With Different Site Code)

I hope, We can have Multiple Environment of SCCM with in the same container (System Management), However the Site Code/Server Name should not be the same.

Is that Correct?

So the Plan as follows:

1. Performing the SCCM CB Environment

2. Slowly moving all Clients from One Domain to Other Domain.

Current Infrastructure:

SCCM 2012 SP2 with Windows 7 Clients (Managing – Application, Patch, Operating System Deployment)

This is running on Windows Server 2008 with SQL 2008

Required Infrastructure:

It is required to Manage Windows 10 Clients, Windows 7 Operating System (Application, Patch, OS Deployment)

After being and hearing more responses from our Engineer’s/Experts. It is planned to progress the Green Field Implementation

1.       Windows Server 2016

2.       SQL Server 2014 or SQL Server 2016

3.       Windows 10 ADK with Version ADK 1709 - 10.1.16299

4.       System Center Configuration Manager V1710 New Implementation along with Distribution Point

5.       Making the Environment with Complete Readiness for all Application Source, OSD Task Sequences, Software Updates., etc.,

This New Infra will be completely ready with supporting all contents.

IP Assignment:

We are already having the Boundary Groups, which is based on the IP Range with Region wise in the OLD Environment.

New Environment – Client Movement from Old Infrastructure:

Let us consider we have the IP Range called 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 is active and supplying the service with Windows 7 Client OS on Old Infrastructure (SCCM 2012 SP2)

Now, the New Infrastructure is ready with all sources (SCCM CB V1710) – If the Client IP Range, Boundary Settings for Site assignment is getting moved from Old Infra to New Infra

By Using Automatic Site Client Push Installation

1.       SCCM Agent Will get install/upgrade with Version CBV1710

2.       Since the IP Range, Boundary Group is allocated with New Environment

All the Deployments will get started to run on new Environment.

By performing this activity

1.       All Windows 7 Clients will be running with SCCM CBV1710 Agent Version

2.       All Windows 7 Clients will be reporting to SCCM CBV1710 Infrastructure

3.       Slowly, I can prepare myself for Windows 10 Upgrade Projects.

Hence, it is require to have 2 Environments in the Same System Management Container (SCCM 2012 SP2, and SCCM CB V1710). If I hold the 2 Environment with Different Site code and host name, Will that be Okay..

Please Advice!!

My Sincere apologize to send the details, Personally.