AaronBISSELL

SCCM + MDT Refresh from 8.1 to 10

Question

Hello Windows Noob family!

I am attempting to a very basic, nothing crazy refresh from windows 8.1 to windows 10 using SCCM with MDT. I am doing a user driven installation with the latest ADK installation. I create a standard User Driven task sequence. Under the capture user state step I have Capture all user profiles by using standard options selected, with verbose logging and Copy by using file system access - checked continue if some files cannot be captured and capture locally using hard links. Then under Restore User state I am using Restore all captured user profiles with standard options.

When kicking off the task sequence from within the OS, I have no trouble managing the wizard... which reboots me into WinPE and begins the image. I watch it run the USMT package which "Processes the User State". When the image is done, the user profiles are not restored, altho - all the data is still there under C:\StateStore. I can browse through that folder and see all the user profiles that were backed up, and all the content is there.

It just appears to be skipping, or failing? On the Loadstate portion... I cannot find any scanstate / loadstate logs - and the SMTS.log files don't appear to display any errors.

Any thoughts from the gurus here? Thank you!

2 answers to this question

In the event someone else comes across this, I managed to figure it out. The base MDT + SCCM Task sequence conditions on the Restore user State step was missing the condition Folder - %StateStore%\USMT exists by default.

Once I added that condition, it then started running that step and the Refresh scenario is now working.

• Haha 1