Jeff May-Stahl

HELP!!! Unable to upgrade through Task Sequence

My upgrade task sequence to go from 1511 and 1607 to 1709 was working perfectly. Now it just hangs forever (days) when it starts the upgrade the task os step. There are no errors in the SMSTS log, it just stops at the executing command line step. Setupact and Setuperr logs show some errors but I could use some help figuring out what happened to make this stop working!

in the logs you attached can you tell me where  you are seeing it hanging, i looked at one setupact.log and it's reporting the time as 7:41 throughout the entire log, which doesn't show any hanging...

The SP4 logs are more indicative of most of our machines. The setupact log just stops after the errors as in the screen shot I posted (Windows::Compat::Appraiser::WicaDeviceInventory::GetInventory (409):   Finished reading Device Inventory. 0 Devices).

In both SMSTS logs it just sits at the executing command line, the device says running action:Upgrading Operating System and SCCM says in progress. And it will sit there for days until the device is restarted and the deployment is deleted. 

The desktop setupact log does look different but the smsts and device acted the same and it never upgraded.

It worked on about 150 machines, now it doesnt work on any. I tried checking Ignore any compatability messages, tried using the dynamically update windows. No change.

to be clear what os are you ugprading from here ? Windows 7 or Windows 10 ? if it's Windows 7 then install the KB2952664 hotfix and reboot and try again