anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 - Part 2

This multi-part guide will show you how to install the latest  baseline version of Configuration Manager from Microsoft. The latest available baseline version is  System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 as of March 29th 2018.

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 1
How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 2
How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 3
How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 4

You can use this multi-part guide to get a hierarchy up and running on Windows Server 2016 using SQL Server 2017. The concept behind this is to guide you through all the steps necessary to get a working Configuration Manager Primary site installed (for lab use) using manual methods or automated using PowerShell. This gives you the power to automate the bits that you want to automate, while allowing you to manually do other tasks when needed. You decide which path to take. PowerShell knowledge is desired and dare I say required if you are in any way serious about Configuration Manager.

I will show you how to do most steps via two methods shown below, it’s up to you to choose which method suits you best but I highly recommend automating everything that you can, using PowerShell.

•     Method #1 – Do it manually
  •     Method #2 – Automate it with PowerShell

In Part 1,  you configured Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS) on AD01, then joined the Configuration Manager server (CM01) to the newly created domain. You then created users, usergroups and OU's in Active Directory and created the System Management Container. Finally you delegated permission to the Configuration Manager server to the System Management container.

Step 1. Install Roles and Features on CM01

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

To support various features in System Center Configuration Manager, the setup wizard requires some server roles and features preinstalled. On CM01, login as the username you added to the Local Administrators group and start Server Manager.

Method #1 - Do it manually

The role and feature requirements for ConfigMgr are listed here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/configs/site-and-site-system-prerequisites. On CM01, login as a user with administrative permissions on the server. Start Server Manager.

server manager.png

Click on Add roles and features, on the Before you begin page click Next

before you begin.png

Choose Role-based or feature-based installation

role based or feature based.png

In the Server Selection screen verify CM01.windowsnoob.lab.local is selected and click Next

server selection.png

On the Server Roles screen select Web Service (IIS)

web server iis role.png

and when prompted to add features for Web Server (IIS) click on Add Features

add features.png

Click Next and on the Features screen select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) feature

select dot net 35 feature.png

Expand the .NET Framework 4.6 Features and select HTTP Activation under WCF Services, answer Add Features when prompted.

add features for http activation.png

Select Message Queuing (MSMQ) Activation and when prompted select Add Features

message queuing features.png

Select Named Pipe Activation and TCP Activation and under Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) select  IIS Server Extension when prompted to add features click on Add Features

add features required for iis server extension.png

Scroll down and select Remote Differential Compression

remote differential compression.png

Click Next and on the Web Server Role (IIS) screen click Next

web server role iis.png

on the Select Role Services verify that the following are selected

iis role services.png

Click Next and point to the Installation Source by clicking on Specify an alternate source path

specify alternate source.png

Enter the path to the media eg: E:\Sources\SxS

alternate source path.png

Click Install when ready, at this point you could export configuration settings for later automation

installing roles and features.png

Click on Close when the feature installation has succeeded.

close.png

Method #2 - Automate it with PowerShell

Note: Make sure your Server 2016 media is in the drive specified in the script or edit the script to point to the new location of the media.

To install the roles and features needed, start Windows Powershell ISE as a user with administrative permissions on the server, edit the variables as appropriate and run the install roles and features.ps1 script. The script will automatically stop and prompt you to correct things, if it cannot find the XML file or the Windows Server 2016 installation media.

1. Extract the scripts to C:\Scripts on CM01 and load the install roles and features.ps1script located in C:\Scripts\Part 2\CM01

2. Edit the variables (lines 18-19) as desired before running.

3. Start Windows PowerShell ISE as Administrator and run the script by clicking on the green triangle.

Install roles and features.gif

Step 2. Download and install Windows ADK and install WDS

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

When you deploy operating systems with Configuration Manager, the Windows ADK is an external dependency that is required. The ConfigMgr prerequisite checker will check for various things, including ADK components such as USMT and Windows Preinstallation Environment (among others), therefore you need to install Windows ADK on your server. System Center Configuration Manager version 1802 supports Windows ADK 1709 as I've explained here.

Go to this link and download ADK 1709. You'll be prompted to save or run ADKSETUP.EXE, select Run.

prompted to save adksetup exe.png

When prompted for the path, accept the defaults...(or change it to something else if you wish)

ADK specify location.png

Select your privacy settings

ADK privacy.png

Accept the ADK EULA

ADK eula.png

Make sure to have selected at least the following ADK features

• Deployment Tools
  • Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)
  • Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD)
  • Configuration Designer
  • User State Migration tool (USMT)

ADK select the features you want to install.png

and click Install to start the download and Installation of the Windows ADK, version 1709.

ADK installing.png

Once the ADK installation is complete, click Close.

ADK close.png

To install WDS, open Server Manager, select Add roles and features and select the Windows Deployment Services role.

WDS role.png

When prompted click on Add Features to include management tools.

WDS include management tools.png

and click through the wizard until completion, close the wizard when done.

WDS installation succeeded.png

To download and then install Windows ADK 10 version 1709 with the components needed for ConfigMgr, start Windows Powershell ISE as Administrator and run the setup ADK and WDS.ps1 script. This script not only downloads and installs ADK 1709, but it installs the Windows Deployment Services role.

Tip: If you've already downloaded ADK 1709 and want to save yourself some time, copy the Windows Kits folder and all files/folders within to the source folder (eg: C:\Source\Windows Kits) and the script will skip the download.

1. Extract the scripts to C:\Scripts on CM01 and load the setup ADK and WDS.ps1 script located in C:\Scripts\Part 2\CM01

2. Edit the variable (line 17) as desired before running.

3. Start Windows PowerShell ISE as Administrator and run the script by clicking on the green triangle.

setup adk and wds.png

Step 3. Install SQL Server 2017

Configure the firewall as described in https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=94001.

After configuring the firewall, browse to the drive where the SQL Server 2017 media is, and run setup.exe. The SQL Server Installation Center wizard will appear.

sql server setup.png

Click on Installation and then choose New SQL Server standalone installation or add features to an existing installation.

sql server installation center - installation.png

Enter the Product Key or use the evaluation version if that's what you want to use. The product key will be automatically filled in for licensed media downloaded from Microsoft Volume Licensing  Service Center.

sql server installation - product key.png

Accept the EULA

sql server installation - EULA.png

Make your Microsoft Update choices

sql server installation - Microsoft Update.png

and review your Install rules,

sql server installation - Install Rules.png

select the SQL server instance features you need and if necessary change the drive letter where you intend to install it

sql server installation - features.png

And configure the Instance Configuration or just leave it as default

sql server installation - instance configuration.png

Verify the Service Accounts settings

sql server installation - service accounts.png

and for Collation, make sure the collation is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

sql server installation - collation.png

For Server Configuration, click on Add Current User

sql server installation - Server configuration.png

After configuring Data Directories, TempDB and Filestream settings you are Ready to Install

sql server installation - ready to install.png

Click on Install to start the installation of SQL Server 2017, and once it's completed, click Close.

sql server installation - close.png

After installing SQL Server 2017, download SQL Server 2017 SSMS from here and install it.

sql server manually install SSMS.png

Note: Make sure your SQL Server 2017 media is in the drive specified in the script or edit the script to point to the new location of the media. The script and accompanying INI file have the path pointing at D:\Program Files, please change the variables as appropriate.

To install SQL Server 2017 use the Install SQL Server 2017.ps1 script. The script will create a ConfigurationFile.ini used to automate the installation of SQL Server 2017, and after it's installed the script will download the SSMS executable (Management Studio) and install it. Then it will download Reporting Services and install it. If either of the EXE's are in the download folder, it will skip the download and just install. SQL Server no longer comes with the Management Studio or Reporting Services built in, and they are offered as separate downloads, don't worry though, my PowerShell script takes care of that for you.

1. Extract the scripts to C:\Scripts on CM01 and load the Install SQL Server 2017.ps1 script located in C:\Scripts\Part 2\CM01

2. Edit the variables [lines 17-76] as desired before running.

installing SQL server 2017 and SSMS.png

Step 4. Restart the Configuration Manager Primary Server

Open an administrative command prompt and issue the following command:

shutdown /r

shutting down.png

Step 5. Install the WSUS role

Now that SQL server is installed, we can utilize SQL Server for the WSUS database. To install WSUS and configure it to use the SQL server database instead of the Windows Internal Database, do as follows:

Using Roles and Features in Server Manager, add the Windows Server Update Services role.

windows server update services role.png

When prompted to add features for the WSUS role, click on Add features.

add features for WSUS.png

When prompted for the Role Services, uncheck WID Connectivity and add SQL Server Connectivity instead.

SQL Server connectivity.png

When prompted for Content location, enter a valid path

WSUS content location.png

When prompted for Database Instance Selection, enter the server name and click on Check Connection

database instance selection.png

On the Confirm Installation Selections screen, click on Install.

WSUS confirm installation selections.png

and finally click close.

WSUS installed close.png

After installing the WSUS role, in Server Manager, click on the yellow exclamation mark and choose Launch Post Installation Tasks.

WSUS launch post installation tasks.png

When the tasks are completed

wsus feature completed.png

Optional: The WSUS database (SUSDB) can be observed using SQL Server SSMS.

sql server susdb database.png

Browse to the location where you extracted the scripts, C:\scripts. Start Windows PowerShell ISE as administrator, open the Install roles and features_WSUS.ps1 script, edit the $servername variable and replace CM01 with the ServerName your are installing ConfigMgr on (SQL server).

Note: Make sure to have your Windows Server 2016 media in the path referred to by $Sourcefiles.

1. Extract the scripts to C:\Scripts on CM01 and load the Install roles and features_WSUS.ps1 script located in C:\Scripts\Part 2\CM01

2. Edit the variables [lines 22-25] as desired before running.

installing WSUS using PowerShell.png

Downloads

The scripts used in this guide are available for download here. Unzip to C:\Scripts on both servers. The scripts are placed in the corresponding folder (Part 1, Part 2 etc) and sorted into which server you should run the script on (AD01 or CM01).

Scripts.zip

Summary

Using PowerShell to automate things leaves more time for yourself and it's fun. Please join me in Part 3 of this multi-part guide when you will install System Center Configuration Manager version 1802 (Current Branch).

Hi - Excellent notes.  Look forward to part 3.

I am running CB1802 on Server 2016 / SQL 2016 SP1.  Is it possible to upgrade SQL 2016 to SQL 2017?  I don't see much info on the NET yet.  Appreciate your input.

Thanks

RL

Hi - Excellent notes.  Look forward to part 3. 

thanks !

i don't see why not, but make sure to backup your db first and then using the same version of SQL that you have on your primary (on a virtual machine for example) run a testdbupgrade on a copy of the backed up db first to see how it goes, create a plan for the sql upgrade and you should probably stop all SCCM related services prior to upgrading SQL

Thanks for the update. 

I did a short documentation for a colleague who had to upgrade CB1610 to CB1710.  For this exercise, I did a test by attaching the database on another server and ran testdbupgrade.  The test was successful. 

The only thing that bothers me is SSRS.  It is a separate install in SQL 2017.  How this will cause issue during the upgrade is UNKNOWN.

RL

For Wil NBFC.pdf

As a matter of interest are there any parts of the sccm install process you have not been able to powershell?

I ask as around this time last year I was in a position of knowing I needed to rebuild my entire domain as we were going through a company rename but didnt yet have the new name. Ended up building a few dozen domain environments through powershell+powercli (vmware environment) including a lot of the sccm stuff so that once i did have the name+domain name i was ready to get going pretty quickly.

I accept I am no powershell expert but as it took me a long time to put together if there are any smaller parts of interest I'm happy to share them, log of entire build attached. I made a lot of sacrifices in the scripts for the fact these scripts were all running remotely, e.g. i installed SQL as a scheduled task. Names/ip addresses tweaked for semi-anonymity.

CleanedUpNames.Build.txt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hi Jake,

the purpose of this multi-part guide of blog posts is to share scripts and methods for building a new SCCM 1802 lab from scratch, if you have something to share then please do, in another thread so as not to confuse others on this one,

thanks