CaptHelpful

How to start over (again)

Question

I'm trying to create a new .wim capture of an updated Windows 10 1709 (Hyper-V VM).  I created capture media w/ SCCM, ran it on NewBuild18v2 (my VM), it reboots, say username and password are wrong and shows defaultuser0 as option - can’t log into it.  Administrator is listed, takes password and then gets stuck at “Just a Moment”.  was able to get a cmd window w/ F12 and entered this via regedit - [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OOBE]
"SkipMachineOOBE"=dword:00000001  Thanks to Frank Maxwitat from TechNet.  It was able to restart and login but left me w/ a broken machine - start button wouldn't work, right click on task bar won't work, run works but I'm still stuck. 

I took the .wim it saved to my share and placed it in my TS and get an error (0x80070400) element not found.  I don't know if it's a bad unattended file, but I've included it and the STSMS log for those who read them better than I.  

Main question - is there a way to salvage the VM and do another sysprep and capture, or do I need to start over?

Thanks in advance for the help!

smsts.log

unattend.xml

1 answer to this question

Great advice: create a checkpoint prior to starting the capture sequence. :)

Anyhow, sounds like you never successfully captured anything and was left with a partial .wim. That's useless and I wouldn't even try to save the current state of the VM for your own sake. Start over, do a checkpoint prior to capturing.

What changes are you making to Windows prior capturing? (curious if it's something you do, that breaks it and if it's even necessary to do a custom .wim)