Westy182

BitLocker TPM error regarding Storage Root Key during W10 1703 build

Question

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can help as I'm really struggling to find anyone else that's had this specific problem.

When trying to build brand new HP equipment with an SCCM (MDT integrated) OSD task sequence I am seeing the following error when the machine runs the "Invoke-MbamClientDeployment.ps1" script:

Failed to escrow TPM owner-auth to http://MBAMSERVER.domain/MBAMRecoveryAndHardwareService/CoreService.svc. HRESULT: 0x80280012

I've found that 0x80280012 means "There is no Storage Root Key (SRK) set." but I'm struggling to understand why this error only effects some new machines and not others even though they are all the same model and spec.  We have a workaround which seems to be working every single time which is to turn on a new machine and let it run through OOBE of the shipped W10 OS then once completed, reboot the machine and PXE boot to the W10 Task Sequence.  So something during the OOBE of a brand new machine seems to be creating/setting the SRK for the very first time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this and how/when a TPM SRK is initially created?

Thanks in advance,

Westy

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet