anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 - Part 3

This multi-part guide will show you how to install the latest  baseline version of Configuration Manager from Microsoft. The latest available baseline version is  System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 as of March 29th 2018.

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 1
How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 2
How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 3
How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 4

You can use this multi-part guide to get a hierarchy up and running on Windows Server 2016 using SQL Server 2017. The concept behind this is to guide you through all the steps necessary to get a working Configuration Manager Primary site installed using manual methods or automating it by using PowerShell.

This gives you the power to automate the bits that you want to automate, while allowing you to manually do other tasks when needed. You decide which path to take. PowerShell knowledge is desired and dare I say required if you are in any way serious about Configuration Manager.

I will show you how to do most steps via two methods shown below, it’s up to you to choose which method suits you best but I highly recommend automating everything that you can (if possible), using PowerShell.

•     Method #1 – Do it manually
  •     Method #2 – Automate it with PowerShell

In Part 1,  you configured Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS) on AD01, then joined the Configuration Manager primary server (CM01) to the newly created domain. You then created users, usergroups and OU's in Active Directory and created the System Management Container. Finally you delegated permission to the Configuration Manager server to the System Management container. In Part 2, you configured Windows Server 2016 roles and features on the Configuration Manager primary server (CM01) and then you downloaded and installed Windows ADK 1709. Next you installed SQL Server 2017 CU5 with SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and Reporting Services before installing the WSUS role which uses SQL to store the SUSDB instead of the Windows Internal Database (WID). In this Part, you will download and extract the ConfigMgr content, you'll download the ConfigMgr prerequisites and then you'll extend the Active Directory schema before installing System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802.

Step 1. Download and extract the ConfigMgr content

Before installing System Center Configuration Manager version 1802 you'll need to download the content as it is a baseline version. You can download baseline versions of the ConfigMgr media from Microsoft's Volume licensing Service Center (VLSC) site for use in production or from MSDN (or the Microsoft Evaluation site) for use in a lab. The VLSC download can be found be searching for Config and then selecting System Center Config Mgr (current branch and LTSB) as shown below.

vlsc download available.png

Once you've downloaded the ISO, mount it using Windows File Explorer and copy the contents to somewhere useful like C:\Source\SCCM1802 on the Configuration Manager server.

Step 2. Download the ConfigMgr Prerequisites

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

You can download the prerequisites during ConfigMgr setup or in advance. As you'll probably want to install more than one copy of ConfigMgr (one lab, one production) it's nice to have the prerequisites downloaded in advance.

Method #1 – Do it manually

To do that, open an administrative PowerShell command prompt and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Source\SCCM1802\smssetup\bin\X64

Run the following line

.\SetupDL.exe C:\Source\SCCM_Prerequisites

download prerequisites.png

Once the process is complete you can open C:\ConfigMgrSetup.log with CMTrace (or notepad) to verify the status of the download.

configmgrsetup log file.png

Note: You can find the CMTrace executable in the SMSSetup Tools folder in the location that you extracted the ConfigMgr media, eg:  C:\Source\SCCM1802\SMSSETUP\TOOLS.

Method #2 – Automate it with PowerShell

To automate the download of the prerequisites simply follow the instructions and run the Install SCCM Current Branch version 1802.ps1 Powershell script in Step 4 or use the Download SCCM prerequisite files.ps1.

Step 3. Extend the Schema

Note: Perform the following on the Domain controller server (AD01) as Administrator. You do not have to extend the Active Directory schema if it was already extended for Configuration Manager previously.

To do that, on the Active Directory domain controller (AD01), open Windows File Explorer and browse to the network path of the ConfigMgr server where you've copied the SCCM source, eg:

\\cm01\c$\Source\SCCM1802\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64

In that folder, locate extadsch.exe and right click, choose Run as Administrator.

extadsch exe on ad01.png

After the schema has been extended for SCCM, you can open C:\ExtAdsch.log on the root of C:\ on the server you are performing this on, and review the success or failure of that action.

schema has been extended via powershell script on cm01.png

To automate extending the schema, use the Extend the Schema in AD.ps1 PowerShell script. Run the script on the CM01 server using credentials that have the ability to extend the schema.

extending the schema PowerShell script.png

Step 4. Install SCCM Current Branch (version 1802)

Note: Perform the following on the ConfigMgr server (CM01) as Administrator. 

To do that, on the Configuration Manager server (CM01), open Windows File Explorer and browse to the network path of the ConfigMgr server where you've copied the SCCM source, eg:

C:\Source\SCCM1802\

In that folder, double click on splash.hta. The Installer appears, click on Install.

splash hta.png

At the Before You Begin screen click Next.

before you begin.png

In the Available Setup Options screen, place a checkbox in "Use typical Installation options for a stand alone primary site"

available setup options.png

When prompted if you want to continue click Yes.

prompted to continue.png

On the Product Key screen enter your Key (or choose the eval option), and set the Software Assurance Date (optional)

Product Key.png

On the Product License Terms screen, select the 3 available options and click Next.

product license terms.png

On the Prerequisite Downloads screen, select the first option and specify C:\Source\SCCM_Prerequisites as the folder to download the prerequisite files. Click Next to start the download.

prerequisite downloads.png

On the Site and Installation Settings screen, enter your chosen site code (eg: P01), your site name and the path where you want to install ConfigMgr.

site and installation settings.png

On the Diagnostics and Usage data screen, click Next.

diagnostics and usage data.png

On the Service Connection Point Setup screen, enter your choices and click Next.

service and connection point.png

On the Settings Summary, review your choices and when happy with them click Next.

settings summary.png

On the Prerequisite Check screen click Begin Install when ready.

prerequisites check.png

During the installation, click on View Log (opens C:\ConfigmgrSetup.log) to review the installation progress using CMTrace

view log.png

and when the installation is done, click Close.

installation done.png

To automate the installation of ConfigMgr 1802 (including all the previous steps above), simply run the Install SCCM Current Branch version 1802.ps1 PowerShell script. Run the script on the CM01 server and when prompted to extend the schema, enter your choice (yes or no) and if you choose to extend the schema, provide suitable credentials when prompted. Once done with the schema extension, the installation will continue (as shown below).

install sccm 1802.gif

and once installed you can launch the console.

sccm 1802 done.png

Success !

Summary

In this 3 part guide you used quite a bit of PowerShell to automate pretty much most of Installing System Center Configuration Manager Current Branch (version 1802), including installing and configuring SQL Server 2017 on Windows Server 2016. Doing it with PowerShell means you can safely say that you've got a handle on Automation using PowerShell.

I hope you learned a lot from doing it this way, and until next time, adios !

Downloads

The scripts used in this guide are available for download here. Unzip to C:\Scripts on both servers. The scripts are placed in the corresponding folder (Part 1, Part 2 etc) and sorted into which server you should run the script on (AD01 or CM01).

Scripts.zip

Really great guide. Thanks for creating it. :)

thanks !

you can look at this index, and work your way down, start at Configuring Discovery

Configuring Discovery - How can I configure discovery for System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)

Hi

Great guide. One thing I'd like to ask you. Isn't possible to add the Domain\Administrator account instead of a local account and defined by the $YourUserName variable e.g. $YourUserName = "Administrator" ? I don't see a point of logging with that user account or running SCCM console with Run as another user credentials every time. It would make my life easier.

If I modify that line in the PS script   

$YourUserName = "Administrator"

, I receive this error:

Adding Administrator as a Local administrator on CM01
Oops that'd didn't work, did you enable the following GPO ?
 Allow Inbound File and Printer sharing exception which sets Windows Firewall: Allow inbound file and printer sharing exception to Enabled. 
All done !

Administrator is already part of the local Administrator group in CM0 and under '\Administration\Overview\Security\Administrative Users' in SCCM. Am I'm missing something?

Much appreciated.

kukubau

Edited by kukubau

This guide is good, but has one major drawback and a show-stopper for me. It is mainly based on powershell scripting.

If you add the user account part, security permissions, groups etc. done in the classical way, I'll start recommending your to SCCM newbies again.

My 2 cents.

Didn't you notice that there are two methods for installing each step (more or less), do it manually or do it with PowerShell. I guess I could have made that more clear....or added even more step by step steps

I would point out though that any SCCM admin that isn't comfortable with PowerShell should probably get a new job as automation is key going forward.

thanks for the feedback, time willing i'll try and add more info about the manual steps required in later blog posts.