I'm attempting to run a software inventory report to find a specific file and version on our devices.  The problem is when I run the report, I get no results.  I've verified in the default client settings that software inventory is setup.  What could I be missing?  Hardware Inventory is also enabled as I read that plays a part in Software inventory also.  

Inventory.PNG

hardware.PNG

First off, I never recommend using SW inventory there are just far too many problems with it. 

https://www.enhansoft.com/?s=software+inventory

Even if I did do it, I wouldn't recommend do it daily. It just takes too long and there is no guarantee that it will ever return results. 

What exactly are you doing with it? 

If you are looking for a specific file/version of a file, I have used "Compliance Settings" to do this.  It works well.  I configure it, let it run for a few days to collect my information, then I get a report.  

Assets & Compliance --> Compliance Settings --> Create your Configuration Item --> Then create your baseline to scan or what ever your criteria is.  I attached a quick set of rules I have used.  The first 2 captures are the Configuration Item and the other is the action or baseline.

2018-05-01_14-05-54.jpg

2018-05-01_14-06-07.jpg

2018-05-01_14-07-20.jpg

Garth, we've used this for years and I don't ever recall having any problems.  It's just nice to be able to use the built-in reports to search for files and versions to report back to management.  

Thanks itrider, I'll give your suggestion a shot and see how it works for me.

Just be aware that there is no guarantee that SW will return results for any computer, even if it has in the past. This is a well-documented and known issue that the 4-hour timeout will abandon the results and never update CM. So unless you look for the issue you will never know it happens.