jfdensmore

Windows Update/Defender Update Button Functionality

Hello everyone. I have a question about the functionality of these buttons.  So I want SCCM to handle all Windows and Defender Updates and I have SCCM CB 1802 distributing Windows and Defender updates.  But when i click the Check for updates button in either locations on a windows 10 client all i ever see is either the image below, or an "Updates are up to date".
My question is.... are these buttons useless while using Sccm now?  Also how can i confirm my devices are actually pulling End point updates from SCCM?

And one last question, if i have sccm distributing Updates, is it necessary for me to allow the "Check online for updates from Microsoft update."  link to remain active or is it smart to eliminate that.  

image.png.07e828546cd6f957296298226bbd62f8.png

image.png

On 5/22/2018 at 3:33 AM, jfdensmore said:

Hello everyone. I have a question about the functionality of these buttons.  So I want SCCM to handle all Windows and Defender Updates and I have SCCM CB 1802 distributing Windows and Defender updates.  But when i click the Check for updates button in either locations on a windows 10 client all i ever see is either the image below, or an "Updates are up to date".
My question is.... are these buttons useless while using Sccm now?  Also how can i confirm my devices are actually pulling End point updates from SCCM?

And one last question, if i have sccm distributing Updates, is it necessary for me to allow the "Check online for updates from Microsoft update."  link to remain active or is it smart to eliminate that.  

image.png.07e828546cd6f957296298226bbd62f8.png

image.png

• Are these buttons useless while using Sccm now.
    • Check for updates is not entirely useless with SCCM, it forces Windows to check your local WSUS server for updates.
  • How can i confirm my devices are actually pulling End point updates from SCCM.
  • Is it necessary for me to allow the "Check online for updates from Microsoft update."  link to remain active