JSong0824

Win 10 OSD TS failed on installing application

Hi everyone, it's so nice to meet you all!

I have run into some problems on a Win 10 OSD Task Sequences recently and am wondering whether I could get some advises. Here's the background for our environment, we have SCCM 1710 installed on a primary server with a DP and I have been having success deploying Win 10 version 1709 through Task Sequences until now. Lately my colleague reported the TS stopped working and returned a generic error 0x80004005 when it was trying to install an application during TS. I have checked smstslog on the client PC and found some errors as below:

Execution status received: 24 (Application download failed )    InstallApplication    29-May-18 9:47:00 AM    5420 (0x152C)
App install failed.    InstallApplication    29-May-18 9:47:00 AM    5420 (0x152C)
Install application action failed: 'PyroSim2017 - OSD Install'. Error Code 0x80004005    InstallApplication    29-May-18 9:47:00 AM    5420 (0x152C)

Have also checked AppEnforce log, but no relevant information at all, the log seemed to be stop after a successful installation of another application (the one placed in front of PyroSIm install).

I'm pretty sure there was no change on the source file or Application Deployment settings, it is just a simple MSI install.

A similar issue has occurred on Office 2013 Pro install task too. I have managed to fix that by creating a Package instead. I know I can use the same method to fix the problem, but I'm curious to know what the root cause is. BTW, if we deploy the applications to Software Centre, they can be completed without any issue. The only change I have made on SCCM recently is to uninstalled Windows ADK and installed the latest version 1803 as I am planning to upgrade our Configuration Manager to the latest version soon.

It'd be much appreciated if someone could shed light on this. Thanks in advance!

On 5/29/2018 at 9:45 PM, anyweb said:

what version of SCCM are you running exactly ? and what version of the Windows ADK

Thanks for your reply! As I mentioned in my first post, we're using SCCM 1710 with Windows ADK 1803 (only updated ADK to this version the other day as I'm going to update SCCM to 1802). However, the issue was related to the default client cache size. Personally I prefer to use thin image so that any future updated software can be easily managed/replaced as a single task. So I have created a bunch of applications to be installed during OSD TS. Generally the installer for those applications will be downloaded from DP and saved to ccmcache folder on the client PC, by default the maximum ccmcache folder size is set to 5GB. In my case, TS failed because ccmcache folder was going to exceed 5GB so it stopped downloading software contents.

i've seen reports of a similar issue resolved by upgrading SCCM 1710 to SCCM 1802

but thanks for your solution

cheers

niall