here2lrn

The Windows-noob OSD Guides for Configuration Manager 2012 R2

Hello.

Back some time ago I had purchased The Windows-noob OSD Guides for Configuration Manager 2012 R2 by Niall Brady. At that time as I was going through the Hydration Kit installations I was having some valid issues and Niall had very kindly stepped in to assist in getting me setup. During this period in my life I was not as resourceful, patient or knowledgeable as I am now and I got frustrated about needing to constantly ask for help from the Author. Although he was willing to assist me with some of the lab issues I was having since I was in US and he was in Sweden I could not wait to get the support I needed  only on weekends and I returned the book out of frustration. Let me just reiterate that Niall was amazingly helpful and did what he could for me and I am still a huge fan of his and support everything is doing and has done. I am back on this site again and very grateful for the community of amazing dedicated SCCM engineers that I have access to and am looking forward to starting with a new fresh outlook and enthusiasm.

I am wanting to give the book another try and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I can still go through the exercises without having the exact lab setup from the Hydration Kit that comes with the book. I have SCCM 2012 now running in my home lab on my domain and want to go through the book but it's not setup using the ViaMonstra layout. I am also willing to give the hydration kit another try but wanting to know if anyone has recently used it and if it is still valid.

hi and welcome, thanks for buying the book ! and your kind words, i appreciate it,

i'd suggest you bookmark this link and use the guides contained within to advance your knowledge, the book is still valid for many things like OSD and MBAM, however the link below contains guides that are up to date with the current branch infrastructure,

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13288-step-by-step-guides-system-center-configuration-manager-current-branch-and-technical-preview/

nowaday's, I build all my labs using Windows Server 2016 based on the following scripts and posts

·  How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 1

·  How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 2

·  How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 3

·  How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 4

I hope this helps, if not, ask away here

cheers

niall

This is perfect Niall and I appreciate you not only taking the time to reply to my question but for all you do for the community and the time you spend creating your amazing walkthroughs. I cannot comprehend sometimes how incredible your knowledge and dedication is. 

you rock and cheers to you as well.

• Thanks 1