itrider

HP ZBook Gen 5's - OSD error critical boot driver

When imaging the latest HP Zbook 15 G5, I am continuously getting a failure when it tries to install the OS. The error is the critical boot driver error.  Each time I run a test and gather logs, the error appears at different OEM***.inf's.  When I back trace them to see what the drivers are, they are CPU, chipset and similarly related.  This new notebook is one of Intel's Gen8's that includes all the code fixes for Meltdown and such. 

At first, I had the WinPE problem not detecting the new Intel NIC, but that was fixed by adding a driver to the WinPE image.  Has anyone imaged one of these new notebooks and if so, did you encounter and/or get past this error? I'm running out of ideas other than to wait until HP releases newer drivers.  I mean, I can always try to build it manually, then capture a sysprepped image...but I would like to avoid that.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

setupact.log

smsts.log

I have 3 new Intel Gen8 pc's (brand new zbooks).  3 separate models.  All have the same problem imaging.  It appears that the system installs the OS wim, then drivers, and when it starts to configure Windows, it fails every time.  It fails after oem123.inf which changes each time.  The driver(s) that fail are all sub system or bridge chipset.  (Note, I have tried Win10 v1709 and v1803)

For fun, I installed Windows 10 via a USB stick.  Of course, it took a while to get all the drivers installed, but it worked.  So the default OS wim I am using works, but OSD installs fail to even get Windows configured.

Anyone try this on the latest Gen8 systems?

Random update...I have another HP ZBook Studio G5 x360 that had the Xeon processor in it due to the discrete video.  That generation 8 chip images no problem (well, there is a conexant audio driver issue I need to sort)...just the i5/i7 chipset for the new Gen8's seems to be problematic.  

Resolved - Not sure what was/is wrong with my original OSD, but after updating my MDT tools to the latest, I recreated the MDT OSD TS and now it works. Actually, the same process is now averaging about 37% faster OSD times.  My guess is the MDT was out of date and something with the latest chipsets.

Hi itrider

I'm running into the same exact problem you posted here with the same model.     I have the latest as I can tell MDT Tools (8450) and we are deploying using SCCM.    Our TS works on several older model systems 6th gen Intel, but fails on the new 8th gen models without fail, it stops the installation just as you stated in your original post.    Trying to figure out what in the MDT tools would fix this issue, we are using SCCM for OSD.

What I ended up doing was upgrading my MDT to the 6.3.8450.1000 build (as you noted).  Then, I tried my non-MDT TS...it still failed.  I have no clue why.  So I then recreated my entire OSD MDT TS.  A few small TS tweaks and it now works with the older and the current Gen5's.

For my 1803 deployment, I have the "apply operating system" ts set to "use an unattended sysprep answer file" and my unattended.xml is this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
     <settings pass="oobeSystem">
          <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
               <OOBE>
                    <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                    <SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
                    <SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
               </OOBE>
          </component>
     </settings>
</unattend>

Then, at the bottom of the auto created group called "install" (this is where the OS is applied and such). I have a "run command line" that sets the power plan so the computer does not sleep during OSD.  This cmd line is:

PowerCfg.exe /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

I apply drivers next.  I integrated the HP MIK into my SCCM and now I create driver packages via that method.  Seems to create smaller packages than previous when I was downloading the larger driver packs.  I filter each driver pack by wmi query model.

At the bottom of the drivers section, I increase the ccm cache size to 20GB using a powershell script.  At the end of the OSD TS, I reset it back to 10GB.  This allows larger packages to be installed during OSD.

I hope this helps a bit.

• Haha 1

Thank you for your response.    Just want to clarify, did you upgrade both the MDT Tools task sequence actions on the SCCM servers, and the SCCM Console extensions to version 6.3.8450.1000 build?    Can you confirm what your SCCM Build, Console and Site versions is?     We are on build 1802, Site Version: 5.0.8634.100 and Console Version 5.1802.1082.1807.

Thanks Again.