Lagamorph

Controlling task sequence variables in Standalone Media

Hi all,

So I'm possibly looking to do the impossible here but thought I would ask the question.
At the moment my standalone media prompts with a UDI wizard to complete details such as hostname, OU and security policies, but I'm currently working on a Powershell script to automate Offline/Standalone SCCM builds of physical servers which aren't able to connect back to the SCCM infrastructure, but where the iLO can be reached remotely. This script will prompt a user to input details such as a hostname and some other custom variables that are in the UDI wizard at the moment, then using HPEiLOCmdlets it will connect to the iLO, mount an ISO and boot from it.

Now I realise that the script won't be able to pass variables into the task sequence directly once the iLO boots from the ISO, but I'm wondering if there's any kind of alternative methods I can use to do this.

One thought I had was, is it possible for these variables to be stored in a file on the ISO itself somewhere that the task sequence can then reference? My thinking is that the script will take a temporary copy of the 'Master' ISO, mount it, create and inject a file with the details input into the script to the ISO, then mount that onto the iLO. Once the build is complete the temporary copy of the ISO is deleted. Is anything like that possible? Or is there another possible way of doing what I'm trying to do?
For most things I could even have separate ISOs for things like which security packages to apply and such, the main thing that I'd need to be able to control from the script is the hostname the server is built with, rather than it being built with a generic hostname that needs to be changed later.

Unfortunately the reason I'm using standalone media is that the servers are more often than not connected to networks where DHCP is disabled at the switch level for security, so the task sequence can't contact any external server at all. And we have so many different internal network ranges that putting a script into the task sequence to configure a temporary manual IP isn't possible.