anyweb

sample XP to Windows 7 task sequences

Question

hi all,

as this is a common requirement, here are two Task Sequences I use for demoing Windows XP migrations to Windows 7,

Related Reading:-

OSDMigrateAdditionalCaptureOptions on Technet

OSDMigrateAdditionalRestoreOptions on Technet

Before you can use these sample task sequences you must have done the following Steps.

Using Computer Association add a computer to your Deploy XP collection, and then Deploy Windows XP to that computer. Once Deployed with XP you can use Direct Membership to add that computer to the Migrate XP to 7 Collection described below.

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking

The first task sequence XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking.xml will migrate XP to Windows 7 using hardlinking

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking.xml

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using SMP

The second one uses a SMP *State Migration Point*

XP to W7 Demo - X86 using SMP.xml

simply import these task sequences into ConfigMgr, and replace the missing package references (configmgr X86 boot images, microsoft deployment 2010 settings, mdt2010 files, windows 7 autologin enable package, usmt4 package and the Windows 7 X86 WIM file itself).

See below screenshots to help you with that

Task Sequence References with hardlinking

xp to w7 demo references w hardlinking.jpg

Task Sequence References with SMP

xp to w7 demo references w smp.jpg

and then advertise the task sequences to a migrate XP to Windows 7 collection

migrate collection.jpg

add computers to the Migrate XP to Windows 7 collection and kick off the appropriate TS via RAP.

Thanks for great samples - my hardlinking works great, but I Cannot make it work with SMP.

Is there a minimalist TS ? I have my Win 7 deployment TS working. All I need is to Migrate the data.

I thought I can

- capture existing machine with USMT4 to SMP

- Deploy 7

- restore settings /files from SMP

Could you tell me where I am wrong?

Thanks!

Thanks for quick reply! I am using the built in steps, but the shared directory on SMP is empty. Thanks for the note, but I am not using the combination of the methods.

I must do something wrong.

My steps are these:

Request state store

Capture User Files And Settings (with USMT4)

Release state store

Install OS System (restart in win pe, partition disk, apply os, apply windows settings, apply network settings)

setup Config manager

Restore User Files and Settings

Thanks again for the help.

Using this method, how do I specify the name I want the new machine to have?

In Create New Computer Association, it doesn't seem like I can just type the desired name of the machine (assuming an in-place upgrade from XP to 7)

Edit: I figured it out, turns out you create your new computer record first, then create the New Computer Association afterwards.

In SCCM, Click: Computer Management -> Operating System Deployment -> Computer Association, and Right-Click, then Import Computer Information.

In the next window, choose Import Single Computer, and specify the Name and MAC or SMBIOS GUID of your desired new PC. You can also choose your Source Computer in the same window.

This will create a Computer Association between the old and new PC, which allows USMT to know which PC's to allow Backup and Restore on.