anyweb

sample XP to Windows 7 task sequences

Question

hi all,

as this is a common requirement, here are two Task Sequences I use for demoing Windows XP migrations to Windows 7,

Related Reading:-

OSDMigrateAdditionalCaptureOptions on Technet

OSDMigrateAdditionalRestoreOptions on Technet

Before you can use these sample task sequences you must have done the following Steps.

Using Computer Association add a computer to your Deploy XP collection, and then Deploy Windows XP to that computer. Once Deployed with XP you can use Direct Membership to add that computer to the Migrate XP to 7 Collection described below.

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking

The first task sequence XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking.xml will migrate XP to Windows 7 using hardlinking

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking.xml

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using SMP

The second one uses a SMP *State Migration Point*

XP to W7 Demo - X86 using SMP.xml

simply import these task sequences into ConfigMgr, and replace the missing package references (configmgr X86 boot images, microsoft deployment 2010 settings, mdt2010 files, windows 7 autologin enable package, usmt4 package and the Windows 7 X86 WIM file itself).

See below screenshots to help you with that

Task Sequence References with hardlinking

xp to w7 demo references w hardlinking.jpg

Task Sequence References with SMP

xp to w7 demo references w smp.jpg

and then advertise the task sequences to a migrate XP to Windows 7 collection

migrate collection.jpg

add computers to the Migrate XP to Windows 7 collection and kick off the appropriate TS via RAP.

Running into an issue when the TS reaches the Capture User state part, I was trying to capture data from windows xp to store to a network unc share.

Error I'm seeing on client's smsts.log is failed to delete registry value "System health Agent Error Code 0x80070002. Both client and server client versions are same 4.0.6487.2000 (SCCM 07). Before that it also has Error executing Task Sequence Manager service Code 0x80004005.

scanstate log shows error occurred processing the command line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Ok not sure if someone will beat me to it, hardlink is always a good option as its quick as no data is copied however if you have full device encryption like us you will have to first remove the encryption. And in our case then chain it to a desk in a locked room...

You need setup 3 TS variables with the following values, as follows:

OSDStateStorePath - %_SMSTSUserStatePath%

OSDMigrateAdditionalCaptureOptions - /hardlink /nocompress

OSDMigrateAdditionalRestoreOptions - /Hardlink /nocompress

After those 3 variables place a Capture User State step and select your USMT package (if you don't have use MDT to create one) and then select the 'radio button customize how user profiles are captured' and add the following files:

migapp.xml

migdocs.xml

miguser.xml

Now for capturing your MIF file, I have not tested this but it should work in theory as always test before going live. Add additional step of run command line and enter copy "c:\windows\system32\ccm\inventory\a.mif" "%OSDStateStorePath%\a.mif" /v /y this should then copy the file to the same as the hardlinked files.

Now restart in PE, do the normal for applying the windows 7 image but don't use the format and partition disk as the disk has a partition everything will be wiped apart from the hardlinked folder.

At the end a step Restore User State again add the USMT package, restore all captured user profiles with standard options. And of course copy back your a.mif file to the directory of choice.

That is how to do it with hardlinking.

This information has been taken from the example file attached at the beginning of the post. We have 1 additional step, I have created a VB script that resets the machine account on AD before restarting in PE so that the same machine account can be used to save having to re-add the machine to all the groups it once belonged to again.

I hope that helps you.

I know this is a really old post, but I'm trying to create a TS to capture user data on a BitLocker W7 x64 machine, rebuild and then restore the data and enabling BitLocker again. I'm just unable to get the USMT to run to capture the user state. I'm trying to do this in WinPE. USMT for Windows 8, is this compatible for Win 7? I'm guessing it won't work because the BitLocker drive is not unlocked. How do I unlock the drive? I put the Disable BitLocker step at the very beginning of the TS and it fails straight away.