mikey090txx

Unable to Pxe after OS Import attempt

Hello All-

We have been using sccm 2012 for some time and have been imaging our devices with different task sequences and applying windows 10 1709.  We decided to update our OS image to user 1803 as our base image on all of our task sequences.  I followed a few walkthroughs and updated the ADK and WinPE on the server, updated the SCCM version to match the ADK update and imported the OS image and also created an OS upgrade package.  I then selected the boot image that we had and ran the update distribution point and selected to Reload using the server's ADK version.

The issue that we are having is that when we try to pxe boot, the sequence starts and communicates with the SCCM DP, then shows that it is loading the boot file.  We get presented with our custom background image but then it delays for a bit and "times out" and just goes back to the starting point.

* After this update the pxe process seems slower than before*

Keilamym-

Someone else had started trying to update the adk etc so I was just backtracking the steps to find out what had been done etc.  I confirmed that the ADK was installed successfully and that the server also had the version installed that it needs.  I ended up running the winpe cmd to copy the x64 and x86 winpe files and created new boot images to use.

I am still getting the same issue, I can get the machine to pxe, I am presented with the background image that we configured in the boot.wim properties but the sequence fails at that point.  Looking into the logs I don't see anything that jumps out at me.  All updates are applied (adk/console) and the images are distributed.  I have removed the pxe option from other wim files that we have and we are not currently deploying any other tasks or images with older or different boot files.

It is as the task sequence selection is not initiated.

Typically we would get the password prompt and then after that the window with all of the available task sequences

Keilamym-

Yes, the log file that I am referring to is the smspxe.log file.  I did confirm that the boot.wim file that it is pulling is the latest GPO one that I created and it does have the pxe option enabled in the properties.  I removed the pxe option from the DP, then re-enabled it and now the WDS service is gone.  I am going to try and recreate the folder and see it that helps as the remoteinstall folder exists but some of the subfolder are empty, the images one which may point to the root cause.

i had a very similar issue a while ago. 

when I removed PXE WDS got removed but when i enabled PXE, it never got reinstalled and the log file continued to say "WDS is not installed" 

I fixed mine by "removing the PXE check box, waited for the uninstall to complete and rebooted the server", I then installed WDS manually once complete, I then enabled PXE and it started working.

Keilamym-

Well seems like I went at this in all directions except for one of the smallest possible thing that could break a pxe execution, Drivers/Bios.    This new model of machine that we just received is having an issue and is causing all kinds of problems with PXE.  Seems like others are having problems all over as well and we only use legacy config in our environment and don't use UEFI.