Joe13

[H] SCCM and OS Deployment

Hi Niall.

I need help deploying Windows 10 with drivers and basic applications to existing and new PCs.

If possible, can we cover the following topics:

1. MDT or SCCM or MDT integrated into SCCM.

2. PXE UEFI boot (Who still uses BIOS)?

3. How to capture a custom image? Or how do you create and deploy an image to a PC which will install all the drivers and required applications?

- Is this done with TS?

- Is this image capture outside of SCCM and then imported?

4. Do I create a TS for each PC / NB model in the company?

5. How can this TS be used by PCs that is not part of the SCCM collection it was deployed to?

6. Can the TS be made lightweight to reduce installation time and what canI remove from the steps.

My environment:

SCCM 1810 with the latest MDT integrated

DHCP Server 2012R2

SCCM Server 2016

Multiple subnets to accomodate about 800 devices

What I'm planning on doing for now:

Follow your guide step for step to create the first TS for deployment testing.

"How can I deploy Windows 10 with MDT 2013 Update 2 integrated with System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)"

I will post my findings and the steps followed until success has been achieved.

I hope you and the other readers will be able to assist.

ok one step at a time, what do you see when you try to PXE boot the computer, and are you testing this in a lab or in production ? did you update the boot images to the dp ? did you enable them for PXE ?

Configuring DHCP should not be necessary, but for UEFI boot where switches are involved using IPHelpers is recommended. Talk to your network guys for help with that.

when you PXE boot the client computer (test with virtual machines, eg: hyperv, it's best) then what exactly do you see ? is there any error, if so what ?

I can confirm IP Helpers were implemented, it does not look like it is working.

Even though Microsoft recommends IP Helpers and a lot of blog posts steer clear from DHCP options there are many people that only use DHCP options (BIOS and UEFI)  with success. Will do more research on this.