Sanchez

Reporting Permissions and Empty Software Reports

Well, I wanted to double-check my previous experiment, so again, I mapped "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" to the SCCM database, and gave it db_owner role membership. The permissions on the reports now look fine, and users can access them as expected.

But I don't see this as a solution, as doing this isn't mentioned in any documentation or guides, so there must be an underlying problem. And I've also read that it's not a good idea, from a security standpoint.

As for SW inv, I've traced it through all the logs I know of, and it seems to be going through the steps it's supposed to, without errors. But the reports are still empty, including the "All inventoried files..." ones.

Thanks.

It is document in the CM docs that your site server must be SA within SQL/SSRS. So I don't see this as a problem or issue.

Again, it is unclear if you have actually configured SW inventory. Post a screenshot. 

Again, it is not recommended that SW inv be used and there is no guarantee that it will return results, lots to read here  https://www.enhansoft.com/?s=software+inventory

Yes, thanks Garth; I've read all that, and am taking it into account.

As mentioned, I also followed your guide here: https://www.enhansoft.com/updated-how-to-create-a-sql-server-computer-account-login/, and it was already configured like that:

image.png.68128db6f2675a5ef06825ccade4f0c8.png

I ran the test as you described, and it was successful (the below test was performed on the site server):

image.png.8b6032c4427e1825f73c9b8733d4848c.png

As far as I understand, it's not the site server's account that's having a problem. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM is the local system account on the (separate) SQL server, isn't it? If it were the site server, the errors would show as <computer name>$, wouldn't they?

First off in AI I would turn ON USB and turn OFF Shortcuts, in any case these have nothing to do with SW inventory. 

Second, I would review the InventoryAgent.log on any computer to confirm that  SW inventory is working. look for the text {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002}. Personally, I would turn off SW inventory altogether as it is useless.

Thanks for your help. Microsoft looked as well, and couldn't figure it out, but they disabled software inventory. I didn't get time to look at it for about 6 months, but when I re-enabled it, everything was working again. I guess some corrupted data got stuck in there somewhere, and leaving it disabled for 6 months flushed it out.