Adam_Nox

OS Upgrade over Wifi - Almost there just need a little help

Hi all, I'm new to SCCM (this is day 4), and I'm trying to get some laptops that are only connected with Wifi to run an OSD, including a domain join, all the way through. 

By having it cache the files locally, I've gotten pretty far. I used USMT to preserve a netsh wifi export xml file. 

Now, where I'm stuck is getting that xml imported as the first thing that happens after the first reboot, and I'm not sure how, because none of the steps in the TS are very descriptive in what all they are doing or when the reboot is happening.

Now, I know I can make an image with the xml in there, and I can also do a join domain from setupcomplete with a powershell script. BUT... I'd like to do this in a way that is not image dependent, if possible, and using the SCCM domain join network setup function to keep my boss happy.

So my question is, where do I put the netsh wlan add command in the series of steps, and also what is the best syntax for that command (I've seen 'command not found' in the ccm logs, but that may be due to being in winPE, not sure).

Thanks

I keep trying different ways to get this done only to find weird seemingly arbitrary roadblocks. Could still use some help.  Where I'm at now is I can get to "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr". But despite everything being downloaded, it keeps trying to find a server, then fails. 

Are there some command line switches or something to make it just install configmgr from cached files, or otherwise get around the attempt to network during that step?

thanks.

well if it cannot connect to the network then how can it contact the management point to send status messages ?

i'd suggest you first get OSD working 100% in a LAN connected state and then move on to trying other things, like OSD on wifi...

It does work 100% in a LAN connected state. 

And I've done wifi OSD before, by tampering with WIMs etc. But I'm not trying to do that now.

All I want is for it to stay offline during the winPE portion. It doesn't need to send status messages and other things at that point. It just needs to move on. Any ideas?

I am starting to work on getting our windows 7 (WIFI only) clients upgraded and am having a little trouble getting started. Were you able to get this figured out?
I created the Upgrade TS(bare minimum for testing), and set it to pre-download content. so far download takes forever on the client, and craps out before it even gets started (log attached)

Management Point name must be set in an environment variable    TSManager    8/22/2019 6:00:52 AM    4112 (0x1010)    -this seems strange

smsts.log

2 hours ago, DaveW said:

I am starting to work on getting our windows 7 (WIFI only) clients upgraded and am having a little trouble getting started. Were you able to get this figured out?
I created the Upgrade TS(bare minimum for testing), and set it to pre-download content. so far download takes forever on the client, and craps out before it even gets started (log attached)

Management Point name must be set in an environment variable    TSManager    8/22/2019 6:00:52 AM    4112 (0x1010)    -this seems strange

smsts.log 26.97 kB · 0 downloads

Yes, my last post may have been cryptic, but I did get it to work without requiring any internet during the winPE phase. That includes a separate step for domain joining.

I did not do an Upgrade TS, it is a full windows installation TS.  Download did take forever, and the important part was to use the source switch on the apply windows settings step to tell configmgr to install from the pre-downloaded content.

Anything that absolutely requires internet has to be disabled or placed after the winPE phase.  Then in deployment options, it is set to download content ahead of time.  

Worth noting I don't use this method any more. It took some work getting all the drivers loaded into the winPE boot file, but now I just let it connect over wifi and run tasks.  This topic has the most clear information on getting it all to work, though it could still be better organized into a guide: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/326463f7-d0e5-45fb-a13b-40ac46684bfc/successful-wireless-imaging?forum=configmanagerosd&prof=required - read all the posts.

Good luck.