anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 on Windows Server 2019 with SQL Server 2017 - Part 5

1 hour ago, 56Seeker said:

Well to be honest, I'm a crap scripter and avoid it where possible, so I just followed the manual steps in the guide.
That's to say, I slavishly followed the manual steps and didn't change anything. As it's a lab, I even used the same variable values such as IP addressing and domain names.

Errors by number:

1 + 3) SQL login. Normally we'd used mixed mode, but the manual steps specified Windows log in. I used the "current user" button in SQL administrators set up as shown in the screen shot in part 4. I did set the database engine as "SQL latin..... as shown in part 4 (which puzzled me, it's not a setting we normally play with, all our prod. databases are running the default setting, which considering the vast majority of our servers are US english OS with DK input, could be anything....). Reviewing Part 4 again, I see no instructions regarding GB108030 support, what ever that is, so I'm googling that right now to see how to remedy.

2) Publishing. I think this is a spurious warning, as I did the schema extensions and permissions as stated.

4) SQL memory. Again, this isn't something we normally fiddle with, and reviewing the article again I can see memory limits are stated in the script, but not in the manual "how-to".

5) RAM. I'll take this as just a warning as it's a laptop lab, RAM and CPU resources are quite limited.

6) No idea. I've installed the features stated, in the order stated. To be fair I haven't checked the associated script to see if it's installing more than the manual "how to".

7) as 6!

Luckily I took plenty of snapshots along the way, so I can go back and try again.....  (and thanks the help, by the way....)

A small update: The SQL collation errors are mine! I picked the wrong collation, there's far too many Latin variants.... I don't see a way to correct this retrospectively (I've corrected the individual databases, but the install check still fails); so I guess I'm looking at a roll back....

i think you need to look at the steps in the guide again as i just quickly looked at part 3, step 1, where i show you how to manually install roles and features,

IIS Server Extension.PNG

In this step you can see the BITS components that are required, did you miss it ?

I've updated the original post to make it clear that both Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and IIS Server Extension need to be selected

hi @ChrisFromBavaria I have not tested this on Windows Server 2019 Core edition, only on the Desktop Experience edition.

you can only use the Distribution Point role on Server 2019 Core Edition, so this probably explains why it's just not working.

Server core installations

The server core installation of the following server OS versions are supported for use as a distribution point:

• Windows Server 2019 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1809 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1803 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1802)
  • Windows Server, version 1709 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1710)
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2012

This support has the following limitation:

• Distribution points on this OS don't support PXE or multicast with the default Windows Deployment Services. Starting in version 1806, you can PXE-enable a distribution point on this OS with the option to Enable a PXE responder without Windows Deployment Service. For more information, see Install and configure distribution points.

28 minutes ago, anyweb said:

hi @ChrisFromBavaria I have not tested this on Windows Server 2019 Core edition, only on the Desktop Experience edition.

you can only use the Distribution Point role on Server 2019 Core Edition, so this probably explains why it's just not working.

Server core installations

The server core installation of the following server OS versions are supported for use as a distribution point:

• Windows Server 2019 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1809 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1803 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1802)
  • Windows Server, version 1709 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1710)
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2012

This support has the following limitation:

• Distribution points on this OS don't support PXE or multicast with the default Windows Deployment Services. Starting in version 1806, you can PXE-enable a distribution point on this OS with the option to Enable a PXE responder without Windows Deployment Service. For more information, see Install and configure distribution points.

thanks for your fast answer. i will try it with Desktop Version.

hello! thank you for the guides but i keep getting this error. I am able to extend schema extensions on the DC but do receive error on the CM server. I am aware that i dont need to run on CM server if its already ran on DC but not sure why the error pops up. 

As for the SQL service account, i already added a windows domain account and not sure either why its errors. 

image.png.dc52b988b61845da1c0ca28c59ecf386.png

thanks !

warnings can be ignored but anything that is Failed can not. Can you share the logs generated on the root of C:\ on your ConfigMgr server please and i'll take a look (zip them up)

On 10/8/2020 at 12:53 AM, anyweb said:

thanks !

warnings can be ignored but anything that is Failed can not. Can you share the logs generated on the root of C:\ on your ConfigMgr server please and i'll take a look (zip them up)

actually everything is now working!  your guides worked perfectly, i just needed to back and understand and re-read the scripts! I am new to SQL so my understanding of media, service accounts etc was very very small. After using updated ssm18, new CU22 update, and making sure i am using the domain specified account mentioned my script.....Config Mgr passed with NO errors. 

Genuinely appreciate the time you dedicated into your guides, respect.

-

• Like 1

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it ! now make sure you check out the rest of my guides 🙂 There is plenty to learn (such as PKI, Tenant Attach, Bitlocker Management and more)

• Like 1