doug.morrison

New boot image doesn't have F8 capability

Hi,

I have created a new WinPE boot image using the 'Create boot image using MDT' feature.  When doing so, I left the 'Enable command support (F8)' checkbox at it's default position of Checked.  I then mount this wim with DISM and copy over some files to allow for DaRT remote control integration pre WinPE password entry.

However, I am unable to invoke the command prompt after importing the wim into my environment.  

Anyone seen this before?

56 minutes ago, Peter33 said:

I have seen this when i forgot to enable PXE support and WDS loaded the default image instead.

Definitely loading the correct image, can see it at the loading files screen and also it has DaRT tools integrated which the default image does not.

what version of SCCM, what version of MDT ?

if you look at the boot image properties, is the option still checked ? have you tried redistributing the boot image to the dp's after the change

also, are you 100% sure that this boot image is the one you were working on, you should see the package id when booting...

On 5/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, anyweb said:

what version of SCCM, what version of MDT ?

if you look at the boot image properties, is the option still checked ? have you tried redistributing the boot image to the dp's after the change

also, are you 100% sure that this boot image is the one you were working on, you should see the package id when booting...

Hey Anyweb, sorry only just seeing this now.  

SCCM version 1810, MDT build 6.3.8456.1000.

I don't have the F8 check box on any of my boot images, see attached image.  I have tried to redistribute the image but no dice.

Definitely the correct image as it includes the DaRT remote console and creates a shortcut on a network drive for automated viewing of remote machines prior to the WinPE password screen.

Boot_WIM.PNG

ok the reason the checkbox (and other tabs are missing) is because you have updated the ADK on your site and as a result, older versions of WinPE boot images look the way they do,

to remedy you can use the method described at the bottom of this post (using wbemtest) https://www.niallbrady.com/2013/10/09/how-can-i-manually-add-winpe-5-boot-images-to-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-sp1-cu3/