Joe

Deploying Wink28 R2 with Product Key fails (OSD)

Question

Greetings:

I've got a weird problem where an R2 build fails through OSD every time I add the product key to the deployment task (SCCM with MDT doing OSD). If I remove the key from the task it works fine -- I can then add it to the machine with slmgr.vbs /ipk %key% so I know the key is valid.

Any thoughts?

8 answers to this question

leave out the key or get a version of the ISO that will work with the key you are trying to use,

are you using KMS ?

We are using MAK.

I assumed I had the right key becuase I could manually enter it after the machine is built and activate it without problems.

Thanks.

verify that the key can be used with the actual iso you are using, ie: verify they match up regardless of it actually activating after the install

Hello

I have exactly the same problem. - ( Windows 7 )

The build works fine if no key is part of the build.

If I insert it manually than it works fine but not part of OSD.

What are the key requirements ? can it be a volume lic key OR does it have to be a ( KMS ) OR ( MAK ) key for it to work with SCCM ( OSD ZTI )?

Thank you in advance

Rob

verify that the key can be used with the actual iso you are using, ie: verify they match up regardless of it actually activating after the install

does this help ?

and I quote Jason here directly

KMS keys are used only to create KMS systems; they are not the equivalent of the legacy volume license keys (VLK). The rough equivalent of a VLK is the multiple activation key (MAK). Never use a KMS key unless you are standing up a KMS. Clients activating against a KMS -- aka KMS clients -- do not require a key. That's part of the "beauty" of the KMS scheme, you never have to enter or give out a key.

To directly answer the question, don't put any key in the TS for Vista/7/2008/2008 R2 clients that will activate against your local KMS.

also, you didn't say what you are deploying, is it Enterprise or another version

cheers

niall

Thank you very much for responding.

I am in the midst of deploying Windows 7 Pro.

Yes that answers the question. No wonder it would not work while it was part of the TS.

So the question is than!!!

So how does the KMS server work ?

I once read up on technet it is a command line vbscript which you run with KMS as part of the command.

So do the clients than look for a KMS service response from DNS and than automatically point to the KMS server ? I guess I dont need any GPO to force them to look at the KMS server like we do for WSUS ?

cheers

Rob

does this help ?

and I quote Jason here directly

also, you didn't say what you are deploying, is it Enterprise or another version

cheers

niall